Tuesday 15 February 2011

3rd Jan – Mission 2 (Bangai 14)

I woke up fresh although still doubtful on my endeavor! Walked over to enjoy my breakfast at mcD.

Wasn't really sure what to do but obviously I knew I needed a good sign! Had seen it so many times in those Hollywood movies. So I went online and typed "hitch hiking in japan" on Google! Found a fellow hitch-hiker website and there was an old saying he wrote that really hit me and built up my confidence especially. "If there is a will, there is a way!"

I quickly went back to the lodging, made my sign, and raring to go and try my luck. I had two places written on a piece of paper slightly bigger than A4 size. One side was my final destination, Kawanoe and the other was the next nearest town, Matsuyama, both in Kanji letters!! I learned from the website that nearer destination could increase my chances of getting a ride! So I planned to try Kawanoe for 30minutes before I switch to Matsuyama. It was around 9am. To the Americans or the westerners, this could be very normal. But for me, I couldn't believe I was actually standing beside the roadside, holding a sign and pointing my thumb to the desired direction!!! None of the cars going into the expressway making any eye contact. Then a car going straight to Uchiko direction turned and waved to me at the traffic light. I quickly ran over and he was willing to pick me!!! This was amazing!! I was waiting for less than 5minutes!!

Akiyama- san was 67. He mentioned Uchiko, which was a town just slightly further up! I wasn't bothered how short the ride would be caused I was so thrilled to have my first hitch-hiked!! When I found out later he was actually passing by my destination, I felt like the luckiest guy on earth!!

When I asked about his job, Akiyama-san just placed his index finger on the lip, and said it was a secret!! Very interesting indeed!! He said Japan's economy is going down, while Malaysia was on the way up!!

We stopped for a toilet break and had some fried potato and coffee! Akiyama-san told me their GPS was using satellite too but theirs worked so well in tunnels and sheltered areas!!

It was a very quick 2 hours ride! Akiyama-san dropped me at the town area. I kept bowing until his car was out of sight! I hate myself again for missing the chance to get his contact or at least take a picture!!

I felt so excited! My mission was half done!! I grabbed a quick lunch and made my way to the Kawanoe train station 3km away! I walked passed a shopping street. The atmosphere felt like Chinese New Year. Only a handful of shops were opened!

Finally when I was at the station, the staff mentioned that there wasn't any bus on service to the temple that day! The only way besides cab was to walk 5km! And I had to come back to the station again to take the train to Takamatsu! I timed myself for the return trip and checked the train schedule! Left a voice message for Hajime-chan on my expected arrival time in the evening, and started walking very happily to the temple!

On the way, I saw a young lady sitting very shyly at the back of a bicycle. The guy was riding confidently and looked back to make sure she was ok! Saw another lady smiling very joyfully on her bicycle. I thought she must have received a great news from her boyfriend!

About 1.4km later I saw a man in a car and tried my hitch-hiking luck again. He waved a no sign and pointed to the post office just shortly in front. He was going to the post office. After he parked his car, I met him on my way! We exchanged the usual greeting questions and then he offered to send me all the way to the temple!! Takaaki Ishizu-san was 71years old! He even offered to bring me back to the train station after my visit to the temple!! I was really stunned by his generosity!!

At the temple, the staff remembered me too! I passed him my nameslip. Ishizu-san walked over to chat. Coincidently, the staff knew his wife! The staff also gave us each a charm as gift!

Ishizu-san worked at Koden electronic and was an expert in electronic waves and wireless equipment! He had his own shop now for 40years, Arco, dealing with air conditioner! Before that, he had been to Singapore and KL many times. His wife is a congresswoman for Kawanoe!! Had been in service for 12 years, where there was an election once every 2 years! He was speaking English most of the time. He said he had not had the chance to speak for 30years in Japan.

At the train station, he sent me off. I couldn't thanked him more and wished him all the best. He said he looked forward to seeing me again! I hope so too.

About an hour, I reached Takamatsu train station. Hajime-chan was already at the station to pick me!! I could see my remaining days in Japan to be drown by intoxication!!

“So, that’s it!! This is really the end of my story! Sad to end my blog here but once again thank you to all for your well wishes and support in order for me to complete this expedition at ease. I'm glad you are enjoying the reading. I really hope to blog again soon for a new series!!! Till then, be crazy!!!”

1 comment:

  1. Waiting for the new series! yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! kuan.x

    ReplyDelete