Tuesday 14 June 2011

9 mountains - 21.5.11 (Day 4 - Mt Wutai 五台山)

So-so breakfast at Zhengzhou!
So-so breakfast at Zhengzhou!
Had a good rest and woke up 5 min before 7. Cleaned up and went down to the hotel’s restaurant for my free breakfast. Packed up and checked out at 8. Bought some water and a cup noodle before boarding the train. It was full.

My dull morning was brighten up when I saw one of a female passenger singing with a self-adhesive microphone on her seat like she was performing a concert!!! I could understand how the people around her felt, especially the one sitting right next to the "singer"! Shortly later, the "music" stopped. I guessed the “organizer” terminated her contract prematurely!

It took 4 and a half hour to reach Taiyuan. From Shanghai to Shandong, I arrived at Taishan. Then, I came to Song Shan at Henan. And now, passing by Hebei, I reached the capital of Shanxi province, Taiyuan.

I quickly rushed to the long distance bus station since the last bus could be 2:30pm! When I was there, the staff told me Wutaishan buses travelled from the east bus station instead. I took a small cab ride and reached there just in time to catch the 2:10pm bus. Everyone was already waiting for me inside the bus.

All the buses in China were like pirate ships. So many stops. So many discussions between the passengers, as well as with the officers. The bus attendant asked if I wanted to take an offer of rmb150 for the entrance fee of rmb218.

At 6, I checked my watch which said 1572m a.s.l.!! I started to worry if they were bringing us to the mountain top. When we reached the entrance of the scenic area, all of us alighted to purchase our tickets. Some of passengers managed to go in without getting them as arranged with the bus attendant. But sooner later, the bus attendant was seen in discussion with the ticket officer. Then, a gangster looking guy with a smoke in his hand came into the bus and looked for those who did not buy the tickets and made sure they had one as well! Then, I saw the bus attendant and another ticket officer were kind of pushing each other looking for a fight, but a different officer separated them off. Obviously, the bus attendant wasn’t happy that he was embarrassed with his scheme wrecked!

Dailou's peak at Wutaishan!
Dailou's peak at Wutaishan!
Shortly after, we reached the small town, Taihuai, inside the Wutaishan scenic area. I tried to call my hotel which I had booked earlier yesterday. After struggling to understand what the hotel staff was trying to say initially, I eventually found out that their hotel was not at Taihuai!! Stranded alone, I just followed the bus attendant who brought me to a lodging for rmb120. I just took it since it was within my budget set for this trip. In fact, most of the tourists, if not all, who took the bus were brought to this lodging.

Wutaihan's Taihuai town
Wutaihan's Taihuai town
Since the hot water was only available from 8pm onwards, I walked around and tried to ask the way to hike up the peaks on foot. None could give a clear answer. Mainly also because they wanted you to take the bus up instead! It was a very cold night. The scenic area was actually mushroomed with lodging everywhere! Would had got the same quality room for half the price just a few meters away! After all the experience till now, I didn't like the place at all and couldn’t wait to get out of there tomorrow!

So-so carrot lamb soup dinner!
So-so carrot lamb soup dinner!
I walked over to the main road and saw an empty local restaurant. Had a carrot lamb soup. Nothing special but at least it helped to warm me up a bit. Wasn't feeling very good already. Started to have headache. I guessed it was the cold. Bought some grocery and went back straight to my room. Quickly had my shower and jumped right into my bed. The only good thing to cheer me up was the live tennis match final between Peng Shuai and the reigning world number 1 Worzniaki. The Chinese player was good and took the first set. In the second, the first two games were amazing! Both were trying to break each other serve, with game 2 going into 13 deuces!!

I was too headache to finish the game. Dozed off at 10pm and woke up briefly at 12am to see Peng being beaten! It was a pity that she lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment