Tuesday 14 June 2011

9 mountains - 22.5.11 (Day 5 - Great Weather at Wutaishan's Highest Peak)


I wanted to wake up at 5am but Mr Freaking-cold-outside told me to stay put till 6 instead. I checked out immediately because if I could get to climb up the mountain on foot, I may not have enough time to come back. I was already prepared to settle with just the Dailou peak inside the small town, Taihuai, if I couldn’t find my way up to the peaks.

Worshipers queuing to Dailou's peak!
Worshipers queuing to Dailou's peak!
The path up was called Da Zhi Lu (Wisdom Road). At the entrance, I already saw many worshipers queuing at this hour. They would chant a few prayers, knelt before they walked three steps and do the same thing again. Along the way, there were many monks lying flat on their body as they walked up. Many were also hoping for donation from the tourists.


There was a temple at the top. I ate my prune and took some pictures before I went in for rmb8. That was probably the only temple that I stepped in at Wutaishan. This place was famous for temples and they were more than 20 of them here. Some tour guides told me that you have not been to Wutaishan if you have not visited some of the famous temples here!!

Today's weather was really good. The sky was clear and the sun was bright! The morning was very cold but it was better off now at 7:30am.

View from Dailou's peak
View from Dailou's peak
Stalls at Dailou's peak
Stalls at Dailou's peak
I took the other path down where the cable chairlift took. There were people going up to the peak on horses! No wonder I met so many horse dung along the way down.


Some locals at North Peak
Some locals at North Peak
Temple at North Peak!
Temple at North Peak!
I bought some very nice and sweet dates when I reached the town again. Found the ticket office to the 5 peaks, hence the name Wutaishan (Five peak mountain)! Bought one for rmb70 to the highest peak, the North Peak! I was impressed that they limit the minivan to 8 persons only even though there were some extra seats left! The bus ride to the peak was about half
an hour! And I thought the bus would stop at some hiking path. The driver must be laughing in his heart. We passed through the East Peak. It was an 18km ride. The stretch from the East Peak to the north was like the Great Wall!

This is North Peak, the highest at Wutaishan!
This is North Peak, the highest at Wutaishan!
View from North Peak!
View from North Peak!
The North Peak had great view. Ice patches were found there. It was windy and cold! I had 4 layers on top, 2 inner wears at the bottom, a bandana over my head and gloves on as well!! I asked a master there about the walking trail and he replied it was the same path as the car!

We stayed up there for half an hour. On the way back, I saw some local just sat on the middle of the road playing cards!! I felt rather disappointed for not being able to hike up. I decided to walk from the town to the East Peak instead, now that I knew the way!


Back at the ticket office where we departed, I had my late breakfast at a restaurant. My Kongpou chicken was good and seemed pretty popular too. A couple of patrons already checked out my dish and asked for the name!


Dairy milk anyone?!
Dairy milk anyone?!
Herd invasion!!
Herd invasion!!
After my meal, I started my journey to the East Peak at 11am!! I had not really felt crazy in this trip until now. A car actually stopped to offer me a ride up! I reckon the main road might be the same as the hiking path since I could read signs that introduced the mountain along the way. Even met a man and a woman selling wild mushroom at the roadside!


Hike to Mt Doom!
Hike to Mt Doom!
Suntanning at East Peak, Wutaishan
Suntanning at East Peak, Wutaishan
After a tough 3 hours, I finally reached the East Peak’s gate. The final 3km stretch was like a journey to Mt Doom of Mordor. At one point, I couldn't resist and lied down to rest for a couple of minutes enjoying the sun light and the cool breeze!


For a total of 3 hours and 50 minutes, I managed one-piece at the East Peak!! I was half dead. Rested for about 15minutes and had some dates for lunch before I started exploring the area.

Great view from East Peak!
Great view from East Peak!
Great view from East Peak!
Another great view from East Peak!
At 3:30pm, I started my descend. On my way down, I met 4 hikers at different junctions!! The last one was a lady! They were amazing. They had started from South Peak, all the way to the west, north and coming to the east! It took them two days if I didn't hear wrongly. From north to east, it was about a 4-hours hike!! Probably they were going to Center Peak next to complete the 5 peaks at Wutaishan. I guessed the hiking path I saw earlier might led to the Center Peak. How I wish I could join them as well!! Yesterday, I couldn’t wait to leave this place. Now, I fell in love with Wutaishan!!

Great view from East Peak!
More great view from East Peak!
Great view from East Peak!
Yet another great view from East Peak!
I came back to the same grass patch to lie for a while. Back to the main road, many more offered me a ride down. First was a motorcyclist. Two hours later, a car came with the offer. There was also a car with 3 monks who stopped. But of course I declined them all nicely and thanked them very much! I felt so warm to have such gestures from the Chinese. =] But on a funny side, a bus driver offerred me 10rmb for the ride down when I was still quite near the peak. After I
declined, he added "zhi zi zhe mo zhi zi!!" (self-torturing), before droving off! =]

Great view from East Peak!
Still a great view from East Peak!
Great view from East Peak!
Yet still a great view from East Peak!
Passed by the herd again. We were on each side of our road. Again I was worried the one with the horn might launch an attack! I walked slowly, didn't dare to stare at them, but keeping an eye, just in case I need to run if I was assault! Two curious calves were checking out on me. They stopped walking. Turned their head back and almost wanted to join me, until their parents scolded them to move on!!

Around 6:45pm, I was back in town! The descend was 45mimutes faster. I was like a dead meat again. Didn't expect I would walked for more than 30km again after my Shikoku pilgrimage. I ascended 1000m in total from 1728m to 2728m a.s.l. for about 15km. The sun was so bright even at 5:40pm that I had really bad sunburn on my face!!

As a reward, I found a perfect hotel for only rmb60!! The place was very clean and new. The room was huge. The toilet was very clean and towel and toiletry were provided as well, just like a 3 star hotel!! I was so excited when the staff told me there were buses to Hengshan!! Very eagerly, I went to get the bus ticket right away! I asked around many times and got directed to various places. Until I finally saw the notice on one of the restaurant that said Hengshan!!  Very delighted, I bought the earliest ticket tomorrow morning at 7:40am!

There, I met the three ladies whom we came together from Taiyuan. They were leaving tomorrow as well. They invited me for dinner together, but I promised to eat at my hotel. We exchanged contact so that we could meet after meal.

I hurried back to my room for the badly needed hot shower. Along the way, I picked up some water and a small towel to clean my pants and bags.

I cleaned up my stuffs while waiting for the hot shower to heat up. After a refreshing bath, it was time for dinner. Since the owners seem pretty nice to offer me such a rate and were very helpful, I decided to eat at their restaurant as well, and it was the best meal so far. The local Shanxi pork was wonderful for only rmb20!! And the serving was huge!! To top up the icing, I even had a candle light dinner!!! The hotel went out of electricity before my meal was ready. Glad I had a company in the dark. The owner then brought some candles for me in the room. It was only 9:30pm. I called the ladies telling them I was too tired to pop by their place. Apparently, they had an electricity cut earlier as well at their hotel. Thought I could have a early rest, but soon the electricity came back and I couldn't helped but to turn the the LCD tv!! There wasn't CCTV5, but found a program on match-making. The contestants were pretty funny and so I was hooked till 11pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment