Wednesday 23 November 2011

9 mountains - 31.5.11 (Day 14 - Stop-over at Chengdu)

I woke up at 7 plus to get ready by 8am. The owner would be bringing me to take the local bus to town. So it wouldn't be nice for him to wait.

The wife thought I would be having some breakfast. She quickly woke her husband to get ready soon. Still chewing his bun when we left, we missed the 8:30am bus nonetheless. The wife was so upset with the husband and I felt bad! But we managed to catch the next bus which was only 20minutes later. The bus ride was only rmb1.5!

When we reached town, the husband showed me where to take the bus to the train station. Immediately there was one! I thanked him very much and boarded. Then I saw Internet cafe and food stall right besides! Almost wanted to alight and board the next bus instead for some breakfast. But while I was still undecided, the bus took off. It was just a short ride when I was told to alight. I saw the long distance bus station in front of me. A trishaw rider kept asking me to go to the train station for rmb2. I thought I alighted the bus earlier and took up the offer. Actually it was only a short 5min walk!
That's quite a lot for breakfast!

The statue of the famous Liu, Guan
Zhang out a restaurant.




The next train to Chengdu was at noon! I had 2 hours to spare! Looked across the train station and so delighted to see an Internet cafe. I walked over to a restaurant first for my breakfast. Had a feast! The fish paste shredded pork was really nice that I managed to finish off the whole plate. I spent the rest of the time enjoying at the Internet cafe!

Very tempted to try!
Reached Chengdu around 2pm. I walked over to buy my train ticket to the next destination, Changsha, where I need to transit to Heng Shan, at Hunan. After that, I noticed there was a subway. So I went down and took the subway to Sam's Guesthouse at the city centre suggested by lonely planet, mainly because there was laundry service. I felt proud of my navigation skills because I found the lodging without sweat!

Welcome to the
Kingdom of Shu!
The staff was very friendly. It was a place famous for foreigners especially. The rate was cheap considering at city centre. The room was reasonably clean although rather old. There was even free wifi!! As a result, I was stuck in the room for half an hour before I went to check the laundry service I noticed on my way to the lodging. I asked the guesthouse earlier but the staff said the laundry might not be ready by tomorrow morning. I walked to the other laundry service at a hotel. And they said they could do it by evening but the price was a bomb. Rmb15 for a piece!! I almost wanted to take the offer when I walked back to get my dirty clothes. Then I tried my luck one more time with the guesthouse. I told them it was only t-shirts. The staff agreed to get them ready by tomorrow!! For that, I managed to do my laundry for only one third of the price offered at the hotel, and you bet I'm proud of financial management skills!

The sign says it all!
Lake and Bridge at Jinli Old Street
After that, I stopped by the guesthouse cafe for my welcome drink and some snack. Did not really had my lunch. It was already 4 plus. The toasts and fried eggs were awesome!

Then, I decided to take the public bus to the Wuhou temple, aka Zhuge Liang temple. Zhuge Liang was a very famous strategist from Shu during the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history. When I reached, I was sadly left with slightly more than 30minutes only before they closed at 6pm. Didn't want to rush for the tour, I did not go inside since the ticket wasn't cheap too.

A lady playing guqin..
Unconventional red stop sign
Took some pictures outside and then walked around the area. Noticed some of the traffic light showed a red hand as the stop sign! The area was a heaven for outdoor freaks like me. At least more than 10 outlets selling hiking, skiing and camping stuffs! I couldn't resist and went in a few to look for bargain. And I really found a pant at 40% discount. Tried and pretty like it. I left the shop to have a thought. For 539rmb, it was still a pricey item after discount. Although I already had a preferred decision in the heart, I rolled 5 dice to decide. An even meant to buy. The result wasn't what I hoped. I rolled 4 dice. Same result. I rolled 3 dice. The outcome was 2-1 now. I rolled 2 dice and even the score! Finally, the single die told me not to buy. After trying hard to convince myself, I decided to obey the fate.

Day View!
Night View!
I noticed a tourist spot nearby. Walked over to find out the famous Jinli old street. Love that place!! It was just next to the Wuhou temple! Very nice gardens, lake and buildings. Many snacks, restaurant and bar as well. This city had a lot of relations with my favorite Chinese history of the Three Kingdoms. Chengdu was the capital of one of the Three Kingdoms, Shu!
 
Famous Zhuge Liang's
Wooden Ox Cart
Another invention of Zhuge Liang
- crossbow
Covered the whole place in about 1hour plus! It was a very photogenic place as well. Many opportunities to snap a shot! I planned to come back again at night to visit a bar and listen to some local performance.


Took the same bus back to my hotel and went to have my overdue foot massage. My calves still hurt!!! But before that, I broke my promise and went to get the pant in the end!! (And only to realise later what a heavy price I paid for being a greenhorn and not heeding the advice, because the pant  turned out to be obviously not genuine and wear off pretty quick!  There goes my financial management reputation!)
Lanterns and lanterns
everywhere!
Sweet Sugar
Had my shower and headed back to Jinli old street again. The cab ride was a short one. Had a quick dinner and walked around to look for the pub I saw this evening. Passed by one and thought there was an opened area KTV! For that standard, I was surprised to find out the singers were actually local performers in the pub!!

The place had a different beauty at night with those red lanterns lighted up! Amazing place for photographers to capture great shots. Saw a lot of them around.

Night view at the lake
First beer in 2 weeks!
Finally, I found the place and a guy was singing on a small stage. It was an oldies by Tong An Ge. I sat right in front and ordered my first beer since 14 days!!! Paulenar!! Just when I got my beer, he finished his set and stopped for a break. After a long pause, he came back with an English version of David Tao's Ai Hen Jian Dan. I only had praise for him!! I loved his voice and how he ends some of the note. Very self distinctive! But immediately I noticed he had his earring on the right side ONLY. Though I enjoyed his singing so much, I wasn't dare to look into his eyes for too long.  Just in case, he thought I was trying to make an eye contact!!

An old alley...
Next number was even better!! A Jazz version of Xin Bu Liao Qing!! I was so glad I had it recorded on my iPhone although I missed the first verse slightly. I already having my second beer. Just when I ordered my finger food hoping to enjoy more of his singing, he had his last song, Ji Mo Nan Nai!! His voice was perfect for this song!! Sadly, I came too late. The performance started from 6:30pm to 11:30pm daily with different singers. I probably wouldn't have gone back to my hotel if my phone wasn't flat.

I stayed for another half an hour more to finish my beer and snack. Left around midnight and came back to watch Federer vs Monflis in French Open quarterfinal.

After only 14 days, I seemed like a stranger to the beer!! Two bottles were already enough to make me sing my way to the room!

I couldnt finish the match and dozed off some time around 1:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment