Sunday 3 January 2016

Korean drama - day 5:Visit of the Seoul World Cup Stadium (28.11.11)



The earliest balls used in
World Cup history!
The earliest boots used!
Left around 12:30pm to the world cup stadium via metro. It was only 3 stops away. Had a wonderful lunch at a burger store, Lotte. Couldn't find the entrance to the stadium. Saw a guard who told me I can't go in. Tried to ask if it was because of a game in progress, but the attempt failed miserably.

My great memory of
1994 World Cup
Half-time tactical talk!

Then I saw someone inside the stadium! So, I walked around it and found the entrance. The ticket was only W1000. There were some Chinese in tour groups. I took my time browsing around looking at the history of Korean football. There were some Koreans playing in the Japanese national team before! The tour brought back some old memories of World cup, especially the two late goals by South Korea in last 5 min against Spain in 1994. It was around 6am or so in KL. I was at home with an old friend, Kok Wai. We almost lost hope and were half asleep but the Koreans didn't!!  When they scored the two goals, we were yelling ecstatically! We were so proud of the never-say-die fighting spirits shown by the Korean team!!

The day I was inspired to be
one of them!
Really grateful to be part of the
Brazil 2014 Volunteer Team!

Went into the stadium when the tour groups had left. Got up close to the field. Too bad there were some constructions and the goal posts were removed. Still, it was a nice view. Also got to see where the players get changed, washed up and exchanged tactics with their coaches at the various rooms. Went into the press conference room where Zidane probably sat after the match against Senegal.

Post-match press conference!
Spent almost an hour and half in the museum. Came out a happy man and thought of going to the park nearby.  Saw a park trail just outside and gave it a try. The hike up was rewarded with good top view of the stadium.

Returning to the locker room after a match
Where all the dirty boots goes...
When I reached the main road again I saw a sign pointing to the Hangang River. It was already 4:30pm. Had a dinner appointment with Ruud at 6 and wondered if I could make it back on time. I kept walking, crossed a huge bridge and reached the river bank. Many were cycling and strolling along the nice path. I headed towards the hostel direction. The view was not bad. Would be a great place for rollerblading. I missed it so much!

Cherishing the memories 9 years ago!
Japan-Korea 2002 World Cup posters
Stopped for some snacks at the 7-11. Looking at the map, I reckoned I should be nearby the hostel. I exited to the town area and saw the sign of the metro station Mangbo, which is one station away from Hapjeong where my hostel was. Tried to ask a few locals for direction and found out it was quite a distance away. When I reached Mangbo train station, it was already 5:40pm. I hesitated and almost wanted to continue walking. Probably it wasn't a good idea to do so although I saw the road name was the same as the hostel!

Seoul World Cup Stadium exterior!
Seoul World Cup Stadium interior!
Made it back to hostel just the right time. Met a Czech couple on their way back home after a year in New Zealand.  Rested for a while and went for dinner with Ruud and Antonio, the Mexican.



Nice Walking Trail behind
the stadium
My first experience of such a...
soap!
Artistic rows of seats..
The players stand

The grass that every football
players wish to step on!





Entering into the field!

Navigation map inside the
huge stadium

Room for the coaches..

Shower time!!

Indoor training pitch.



There are about 66,000 of
these seats!



World Cup 202 Mascots

Nice walking trail outside the stadium
A lonely car..
View of the highway bridge




Outdoor gym equipment near the Park
Dusk view of highway bridge





Direction to your seats..



The Korean Red infested stadium!

No comments:

Post a Comment