Monday 4 January 2016

Korean drama - day 6: First hiking trip at Bukhansan National Park (29.11.11)


Catching the subway to
Bukhansan National Park
The many trails at
Bukhansan National Park
Woke up an hour later than planned. Left the hostel around 8am and reached Bukhansan National Park entrance around 9am. The metro took only half an hour, while the transfer to bus 704 was a short 10min ride but it was a long wait.  Bukhansan National Park is the closest to the Seoul city yet with great hiking trails and view.


There weren’t many people. I saw two groups and a few individuals. I passed by a row of shops selling hiking stuffs from all kinds of brand, famous international and local! Hiking is in the blood of Koreans! Everyone was fully equipped in not only the hiking apparels but also accessories like backpacks and hiking sticks.

Half-way point
Start of the trail to Baegundae Peak...
Reached a bridge at the end of the shop lots and checked out the signboard. Decided to take the trail on the right just next to the bridge. It was around 9:21am when I started my hike. I just followed the sign to Baegundae peak, the highest at 836m. The path was slowly getting more scenic with red leaves and rocky stones. There was a steep stretch and I started to wonder why I like hiking so much that I was here outside in the chill when I could lay comfortably at the hostel!

Baegundae Peak at 836m
Support for the hike!
The final 300m made it all worthwhile! It was holding on to the cable handrail all the way up! Earlier, I realised I had forgotten to bring my hiking stick! Now I found out how much I missed the gloves I left at the hostel! It was already drizzling for the last 500m, at least I was grateful I remembered a face towel to dry my hair and the bandana to keep my hair dry on the way down.

It was about 11:40am when I was at the peak. Saw a couple of fellow hikers only. I stopped for my sandwiches I bought outside at a cafe this morning where I had my breakfast because the hostel ran out of bread!
Heaven is right in front!

Misty hike in the morning
It got clearer during
the descend
Around 12, I started to descend. The way down was even more scenic on a different path. I literally took pictures almost after every 10 steps.

It was a little cold on the way up but coming down was very cooling. I started to see more people, all Koreans. I had not met any foreigners at all!!

I reached a checkpoint and realized the rain cover of my bag had dropped!! My hiking habit was coming back again.

Great Bukhansan National Park!
Squirrels were easy to spot along the trail.
I wasn't sure which way down by now. I asked for direction going to Gupabal metro exit. As I got closer to another checkpoint, I began to hear music! Basically I was following the song and reached the area to stop for a toilet break.

Wonderful hiking trail...
The hike was really soothing
with such view
Great view all along the way.
Amazing red leaves...
Then I noticed I had passed Daeseongmun and was towards the way to Daenammun. Since the guy I asked earlier said I could exit from either one, I followed that path for another 0.5km. However, it didn't seemed quite right because I was keep going up and up.

Finally when I reached the next checkpoint, I met a big group and tried to ask one of the guy. He gestured me to wait and yelled out loud to call a lady who speaks English. She explained to me that they were heading to that direction too and offered me to join them. I was more than happy to get out of the place. So I followed them and came back to the toilet I stopped earlier. We took a turn to the Sanseong info center direction from there. We passed the junction going to Bogunmun and Daenummun.

Beauty of fallen leaves..
More red leaves..
Among the group, I met another guy, Mr Woo Dae Hee, who speaks some good Chinese!! He was 46 with a little 6-year-old boy! Their group was all in their 40s and 50s!! He was so quick, I could not catch up with him. Finally I met up with him again at a rest point they stopped. It was a 4.5km hike all the way down. At some point, I recognised we were back to the first stretch where I came up from. About 2 hours, we reached the foot of the mountain again. The same place where I started the hike. They even had a final celebration giving high-five to all who came down, including myself too =] I thought the lady earlier was with the same group. We left her behind. I thought of waiting for her. But Mr Woo kept asking me to follow him.

Enthusiastic Korean hiker!
One of the many beautiful birds
in the park!
We came to the bus stop at the main road. Number 34 could make it to Gupabal too. The same 704 came instead. We reached the metro station. I thanked them all and left for Hapjeong back to my hostel.

There was a new Japanese girl, Hikaru Koide, who came here to study Korean! We went dinner with Matthew together at BBQ korean restaurant and then some coffee to chit chat.

Back to hostel and that was another great day at Seoul!

No comments:

Post a Comment