Thursday 7 January 2016

Korean drama - day 8: Amazing Snowy Hike at Sobaeksan National Park (1.12.11)



Where the amazing
journey begins
On the way to the starting
position


Birabong Peak was first
my destination
I was well prepared for the snow mountain. Had my Skin tights underneath the strong thermal pant I got at Inner Mongolia and then wore my ski pant over them. On the top, I had my light thermal top from Decathlon, an Addidas sweater and the light jacket.  I also brought my thick jacket for backup, a pom pom hat, scarf and my ski glove for standby.  I wore my white bandana as the headgear with the ear comforter. The cap was used when I need to get more comfort for my head or hide my face from the wind by covering my head with the jacket's hook.

The many hiking trails of
Sobaeksan National Park
That was the peak I was
heading to!
Early part of the hike
All set, I walked to the bus stop. Asked a local again for confirmation and was directed to the further bus stop opposite as I was told yesterday as well. It was still 15 minutes to 7am. A few buses passed by, but as expected, none was going to Darian where the closest hiking trail starts. The guy from the information centre told me the first bus was at 7.

Path along the river at the start of journey
The first hiker I encountered!
Then, help came just like falling from the sky!! An old man walked over and sat next to me. When I said I come from Singapore, he replied he is Chinese too!! He offered to send me to the park in his car!! Mr Zhang's parent was from Shandong and he was born in Taiwan. He had been staying in Korea for 40years!! He said he had two daughters. My eyebrows raised slightly. He said they were married. My excitement dropped too. When I asked about grandchildren, I could hear from his tone that he was longing for a few! I thanked him a lot and wished him well.

Vetege's foot print!
My "30-minutes" hiking
companion
It was 7:10am! I walked slightly further up to reach the trail starting point. Around 7:30am, I began my hike.  Came to a waterfall and saw the first hiker! I was very slow and busy taking pictures almost after every 10 steps!! The view covered by snow was so beautiful!


Ice Kacang Dessert, anyone?
Finally caught up with the guy. Nam Jae Woong was an electronic engineer and 2 years older than me!! But he really look like a university student!!  Young and handsome!  He showed his cute little 13mths baby girl when I asked about his children.

That was how thick the snow!
Rest area!
He showed me the tooth print of a wild animal. He said that were Vetege (Don’t ask me how I get this name from!  I couldn’t even find anything from Google.  Perhaps, I misspelled the name) foot print and their teeth are sharp and dangerous! You wouldn't want to meet one!


Was it the left or the right path?!
We came to a rest area. The sign said 2.3km more to the Birabong peak. However, we struggled for a long while trying to find the right way. One path seemed to be blocked by some branches while the other looked very unlikely since it seemed almost impassable! The most probable was the one going east and I decided to try that!


A small hollow I had to
dodge through
Looking up from the
small hollow
A "Casper" welcoming me on
the other side of the "world"
Jae Woong decided to turn back instead! We exchanged contact and took a photo together! He stayed very near Hapjeong!! We decided to meet again when I'm back to Seoul!


Some animal foot print!
More animal footprints!
I moved on and played limbo rock dodging those tree branches! Later I realized the path was actually blocked because of heavy snow on the tree branches!

It wasn't easy to walk on
such thick snow indeed
I heard from Mr Zhang that the snow just started yesterday! It was amazing that I came at the perfect timing!  After a long day of snowing, I was greeted by such marvelous view today all the way throughout my hike!  And I was so grateful that I got my waterproof boots (cheap and very reliable)!  Would never have made it even with my Goretex hiking boots!

Taking a break at 1110m asl
A wild woodpecker
Signboard at the Birobong Peak
I used the compass to ensure I was on the right track.  Stopped for early lunch at 10:30am. Met two guys, each separately, going up as well!! Glad that the right path was confirmed and I had someone to open up the road again for me too! I was only a few minutes away from the 2nd guy but I could not catch up at all. Partly due to spending too much time on the camera!  And the trail got steeper as well. After a long struggle, I finally see the sign of last 600m which still took me another half an hour more to reach the top!  The 2nd guy was already just on his way down. The first guy still helped me to snap some photos!

At the highest peak of Birobong!
Very misty at the peak (and very cold too!)
Along the hike, I saw some really beautiful birds but the most amazing finding was the owl!!!  I didn’t really manage to see it actually but I guaranteed it was an owl!  I could hear it calling somewhere.  I was trying so hard to locate it among the tree branches which were all covering with snow.  It was like finding that particular missing piece of a jigsaw puzzle!  After some few minutes, I reluctantly gave up the look and moved on.  But the sound of the wild owl howling was a soothing sending off.

View from the Birobong Peak
Path away from Birobong Peak
Somewhere around the hike, I met the first lady hiker.  She was a staff from Woraksan National Park. She quitted to travel.  Sounds like myself.  She was planning to go to India.  I was chatting happily with the lady while strolling along the snowy trail like a romantic scene in a typical Korean Drama!  Only to realized later that I was running out of time!  I was also very busy with camera all the time during the hike that I didn’t manage my time properly.  As a result, I had to get out of the park using a shorter trail.

Spiky spiky snow!
A note from fellow hiker
After a long day, I finally had the urge to do business.  Luckily it was small business.  And the park had hardly any other hikers around.  Just when I was about to do release my hose, someone passed by and scared the hell out of me!  Luckily it was a guy.  Feeling embarrassed, I quickly moved on.


Christmas came early that year!
I was on my way to another peak and met three guys where one of them really looked like the ending part of Kenji from the Japanese comic 20th century boys.  He told me there were buses to Danyang from the Hibong car park exit, where I was suppose to end my day.  I thought they were going the direction of my original plan.  But soon, they caught up with me again pretty fast!


One of the Yeonghwabong Peak
"Kenji" and his mates..
After a long and tiring hike, I reached another peak, Yeonghwabong Peak 1, at about 2:30pm. Thought I had a lot of time but based on the map, I would need another 2.5 hours more to reach the Hibong carpark!


Some of the path at the peak
A stunning deserted temple
On the way down, I saw a very nice bird again and managed to snap a photo this time.  The feeling was like catching a manta ray on a scuba dive!

I still couldn’t resist the temptation but took much lesser pictures along the way down.  Anyway, I managed to catch up with the three guys again so that I would not be too late and miss the bus!


The final bridge that leads to
Hibong carpark
We came to a very nice temple hut but sadly it was deserted already.  Then, we crossed the bridge and the view was just amazing.  I could see where I came from earlier at Birabong peak, the highest peak.   After that, we passed by a beautiful waterfall and finally reached the carpark at 4:30pm!

Left-side view from the bridge

I asked the guy at the booth. He said there was no bus to Danyang but only taxi for W30000. He even asked me if I need to call the cab up. I decided to explore for other options.  Walked further down via the main road and reached the national park office.

Right-side view from the bridge
The final stairs away from the park
Saw some bus timetable, walked in and tried to get some help. One of the guys reconfirmed that there was no bus to Danyang but I could try the train!  I was more than happy to ask him for the direction. He was showing me the first step, that was, taking bus there to Pyongi at 5:20pm.  Before he could continue further, someone called him. I saw “Kenji” again. They were talking to another staff too. Only then I realized “Kenji” would help to send me to the nearby town, Pyongi, to catch the bus. I thanked them all and delightfully jumped into the car!

The view while crossing
the small stream
The waterfall that ends the
amazing hike
I guessed I was so quiet (probably too exhausted after the 9-hour marathon hike and also partly because I didn’t know what to say in English because they don’t speak any) that the driver, probably “Yukiji” (lover of Kenji in the comic), sorry, I meant the wife of the Kenji-look-alike guy, because Kenji was taking the front seat, said hi after a long ride and introduced herself.  I was so ashamed of myself for being so quiet and impolite! Quickly told them in English and apologized for troubling them. We came to Pyongi shortly.  They asked a local.  It didn’t look like the answer was not favourable to them although I already saw the Pyongi train station. Wanted to tell them that it was ok to drop me there since I could take the train but realized my explanation would probably make things worse. Yes, all of them were not well-versed in English but they would still willing to help. I was then brought to another town Yeongju instead. “Kenji” and I got off the car!  I sincerely thanked them all! “Kenji” then guided me to the bus station and helped me to get a ticket from the ticket office.  He then walked me to where the bus was. There was no timing printed on the ticket when I asked about the time. I thought maybe I could have my dinner if the bus was later. He walked back to the counter again and found out it was 5:30! He actually wrote it on my iPhone using Hanguel for the hour and minutes, as if I knew how to read.  But it wasn't difficult to guess. I thanked him again very very much for all the trouble.  But somehow I just didn't manage to get his email or contact. I regretted so much!!

Chambong, my favourite
Korean seafood noodle!
Did taste goes really well with
 the sweet onion!
I managed to get a drink before the bus departed. There were only 2 passengers, and one old lady picked up along the way.  After a 50 minute ride, I had to take another bus to Danyang.  Thankfully, there was a young lady who helped me out a lot on the bus schedule to get a ticket with an old lady ticket officer.   The young lady was waiting for her bus as well, so I built up my courage and tried to strike up a conversation with her.  Too bad, she didn’t look interested and probably was just being courteous to entertain me.  I somehow managed to get her email but anyway my first attempt to woo a Korean girl didn’t really turn out very well.

After a long exhausting day, I finally reached my beloved bed.  Found out my old habit was still haunting me.  I left my bandana as a souvenir for “Kenji” in his car.


The APP that saved my night!
The best thing to end a great day!
Just when I was about to enjoy my beer and my bed, I locked myself out when I tried to ask about the wifi in my room and forgotten my key.  It was already hard to get the staff for help.  After a long while, she eventually got the key which I thought was the right one.  Unfortunately, I still had to bear a lot more longer with the problem.  She got back to her office and found more keys to try, but alas, none of them was the correct one!  I was thinking, “There goes my wonderful night!”  My nightmare almost surfaced when the staff suggested that I sleep in Room 302 for the night while she waits for her boss to return the next morning!  I almost resigned to my ill-fated night, but gave it one last shot and walked to the wi-fi area to download a Korean translator and then begged the staff to try again.  I was so glad that she was still willing to help without any grumbling.  She came back with a whole lot bunch of keys and tried the first batch.  Nope. Not them.  She tried the second batch. No..no..no.. and bingo!!  Oh man!!  The feeling was like winning the house in a competition!!  I thanked the staff very much for her help and hid in the room the whole night!  I have forgotten how long the whole drama lasted.  I am sure it was pretty long but anyway, I was still able to enjoy the rest of the night with a few beers and some Korean match making TV show!!

Ps: I really have a hard time picking the photo for this post, streaming down from 229 to 170 and finally 73 as displayed here!  The pictures of the snowy hiking trails were just too amazing!

Here there are and hope they inspire you to visit Sobaeksan National Park! =]

1
2
3

4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27

28
29

No comments:

Post a Comment