Thursday 16 December 2010

15th Dec – Day 39, Temple 25 to 26 (Shinshouji, Kongouchouji)

Had a great uninterrupted sleep till 5am when my alarm rang. Lazed around for another half an hour more before I was willing to wake up. After breakfast, it was time to walk again at 7:50am. Immediately, I saw a phone and called Temple 27 to confirm if there was any free lodging for tomorrow. As expected, there wasn’t any. Hence, I could go a bit further to a more convenient place to spend the night.

Whale watching is famous here at Muroto CityDrying fishes!It was really the coffee in the morning. I wasn’t struggling that much when I started my trek today! It was a very windy day, although the temperature was ok at around 10 to 15 degree. I had to cover my ears with the hook of my jacket all day! About an hour plus, I reached Temple 25 passing through a fishing village. Then, it was another hour to Temple 26 along Route 55 again. There was a short 500m hike to 225m a.s.l. I was already getting hungry along the way. As soon as I reached the top and done with my prayer, I had a Cocoteen drink in one mouthful! With 4 biscuits following by another coffee, I was very satisfied to continue my expedition!

The super bargain lunch!Wish there were more of such signs to help henro not going the wrong way!The next 45minutes of downhill wasn’t a very fun one. Soon, I was backed on Route 55 and more kilometers to go to the Michi-no-eki where I planned to end my day. An hour later, I reached a small town just nice for my lunch. I went into a store and found a super bargain! A huge piece of fish for just 150yen! I seized it with both hands, together with a 50yen potato and 200yen noodles. It was a great lunch that finished off with a nice box of milk. Before I left, I got another super bargain of four “Kaki” (prunes fruit) for 100yen!!

After my splendid meal, I continued for the next 2 and half hours, thinking nothing but only about food, and the rice I had last night! In between, I stopped for a short while to have my prune fruit and it tasted very sweet! Around 4pm, I came to the place where I was planning to sleep. It wasn’t very fancy and there wasn’t much sheltered area. I noticed a very nice covered section of the Michi-no-eki, and tried my luck to ask if I could bunk in there. Unfortunately, it was going to be locked. I had a hot bun and another can of coffee from the adjacent convenient store to keep myself warm. Suddenly, I sang “I’ve got a feeling, that tonight’s gonna be a cold night, that tonight’s gonna be a cold cold night!”

The breathtaking milk!Around 5:30pm, I got ready and left my backpack at a hidden corner and went to a nearby onsen. When I saw the mirror inside the bath, I shocked myself and couldn’t recognize the skeleton in front of me! I lost another 3kg!! Forget about pills and slimming centre! Walk the pilgrimage for great results on losing weight!! When I left the onsen, I bought a bag of snack immediately just to make myself happy. There was also my favourite milk on sale!! I couldn’t comprehend why the taste could be so breathtaking! I wish I could bring the vending machine home!

The 'stick' thing was special!Next, it was time to look for food. The menu at the onsen wasn’t attractive at all! I went back to the ramen shop I passed by this afternoon. I was the only patron and the owner was an 81-year-old lady!! She served me a fabulous ramen with a bowl of rice! We chatted a while, although I couldn’t catch what she said mostly. Her children were in Kobe, and they were hairstylists! (Maybe only one of them. She had 2 kids). She asked to shake my hand and wished me best of luck before I leave!

I popped over to my favourite supermarket just opposite the restaurant. I love shopping for food! Bought a 1705yen of provisions. If I stayed longer, I could have bought more! Quickly pull myself to the cashier before I threw in more stuff into the shopping basket. Very pleased with what I’d gotten, I came to an area with hot drinks, table and chairs for shoppers to rest! Too bad there wasn’t a clear power plug too, but nevertheless, I stayed put to avoid the cold outside as long as possible and updated my blog. But very soon, it was going to close at 10pm. I walked back to the Michi-no-eki miserably. “I’ve got a feeling, that tonight’s gonna be a cold night, that tonight’s gonna be a cold cold night!” I wondered if I could swap last night with tonight. I was on t-shirt last night when I walked out to get my coffee!

On the way back, I came across the sheltered bus stop again that I passed by this afternoon! I had a look inside and it was clean and spacious! I left my things there and walked very fast to the Michi-no-eki to pick up “Ah Wing”. It was probably a better choice since the Michi-no-eki was very close to the convenient store and my tent would be too obvious with so many people around. Besides, the bus stop was sheltered! I lay out my ground sheet and wrapped myself up inside the sleeping bag right away to get some sleep as soon as possible. It was already close to 11pm!

Today, I had another tiring 30.7km, and my shoulders and legs were drained out!

3 comments:

  1. looks like you have gotten used to it chee seng... a bit more. ganbate!! ~kien meng

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretended I didn't read the bit on you being skeleton-y. Sigh... I wish you'd gain back a little very soon. btw, how come I don't read you rave about raisin buns anymore? kuan.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks KM... I'm already a pro-henro now!

    Yeh lo, kuan.. ever since I started spreading the butter, I didnt get my raisin bun anymore. I saw it today and almost wanted to get them!

    ReplyDelete