Thursday 30 December 2010

29th Dec – Day 53, Temple 40, (Kanjizaiji)

I had a good sleep last night, woke up fresh and raring to go again! After breakfast, I went straight back to Route 56 at around 7:10am, and continued along the same road until 4:15pm!

Walking towards Temple 40.After two hours of walk, I was almost at the temple but got distracted for a while checking on my messages online. Had a toilet break and my corn soup at the convenient store before I arrived at Woody Wild Boar!Temple 40 around 9:45am. Besides the usual prayer, I also prayed that Nick, my school mate, would get well soon!

Since I still had time, I decided to find a place to go online in order to book my flight home earlier before the tickets run out. Sometimes, you felt so fortunate that somehow things were pre-planned ahead just like it was in the movies. We always said after a typical scene, “有无干巧啊!?” (meaning “Could it be so coincident!?” in Cantonese). It was indeed “就是干巧!” (meaning “Exactly so coincident!” in Cantonese). I found one at a perfect place where I could even hide away from the wind outdoor! It was inside a rice-cleaning machine booth! But, unfortunately, it could not last for long. Someone needed to use the machine, and I had to move out. (The booth could only fit in 1 person and the rice bags perhaps.) Very soon, he was done and I went in again. Just when I was about to sit down, another user came. I gave up and squatted outside the booth Another nice tunnel for pedestrianinstead. I quickly get my online reservation done and packed up, because the wind was strong and too cold to stay stationary!

Amazing budget lunch! The fish was inside my stomach already!I was trying to look for a restaurant as soon as I could. Finally, I saw a giant supermarket instead. Went in and saw nice seats and tables! Dropped my baggage and hunted for my lunch at once! Had a feast of bargain! The huge drumstick was only 150yen! The large soba fish 105yen! Had another plate of vegetables to go with my rice! Finished off with a half-priced milk of 30yen!! Once my stomach was taken care, it was time to shop for dinner and breakfast! Had a hard time making up my mind on the fish or chicken sushi! It’s a tough job shopping for food at supermarket, especially big one! I was always finding it tricky to stay focused and not engrossed by other food and snacks!

Three green-headed ducks!Cool backpacker with his cool tent and cool bike!I continued my walk and saw a sign to warn drivers of strong wind. There was a picture of a car being blown away! I thought if a car could be blown off, what about me then weighting 7kg lesser!! The next two and a half hour was much tougher. Firstly, it must be the heavy lunch. And secondly, the timing of the day always made you felt drowsy! Finally, I reached a small village Uchiumi at 2:45pm and stopped for my tea break. I still had only about an hour of walk more to go to reach the onsen. And today, the Lady Luck was especially nice to me. I found another internet access where I could sit at the bus stop to avoid the wind! I took the opportunity again to upload my blog but time was flying like a rocket! Didn’t want to rush later, I moved on around 3:30pm. Within 45 minutes, I reached the park and the onsen. As usual, it was time to check out the toilets. Glad to have another decent handicapped toilet around. Got ready for my onsen, and noticed it was still early. Walked to the beach and hung around to view the sunset! It was around 5pm. Within a minute or so, it went out of sight pretty quickly, especially at the last few seconds.

Not so wonderful dinner!Hotel for dogs!The onsen was cheap and clean, but it was too crowded! Accordingly to Yumi-chan, this place was unique because the water was from the sea and supposed to be good for skin! After the bath, I checked out the restaurant and had my dinner there instead. Perhaps, I picked the wrong order. The chicken was just so-so. I went up to the rest area and updated my blog. The news reported that the next two days were going to snow again! Another patron there confirmed again with me later. I thought it just had to be a bit tougher towards the end!

While I was updating my blog, the TV was showing a program and there was this black guy, like those rappers, speaking Japanese so fluently that it looked funny!! I was still too full to have my sushi! Soon, it was already 9:30pm and time to go back to my “hotel”. My eyes were pretty tired. Got ready my “bed” and knocked down at 10pm!

2 comments:

  1. I finally caught up with you brother, on this day Fri 31 Dec 2010 4:45pm Malaysia time, so I'm metaphorically walking by your side mate. Now I shall start chanting "I want blog, I want blog" in the "We want food, we want food" prisoners style.

    I has been an amazing journey reading through your daily records. So many kind souls that you have met, so many toilet hotels that you have slept in. Even if you feel you haven't really been thinking much about what to do with your life during this pilgrimage, I believe there are many things that you have picked up, and left behind, during this journey, just that you may not realise it now.

    In KK, there is a custom (probably a modern one) where on New Year's Eve people will go to the beach and play in the sea to wash away bad luck -in Malay, "buang sial". It's New Year's Eve today, so here's wishing for you that all the bad stuff, negative feelings, will be washed away, and the new year will bring hope, optimism, good cheer, thankfulness, and certainly great courage. If you can do this crazy henro stuff, you can do anything man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a hell long comment bro!! Thanks a lot! And I'm very grateful for the well wishes, Hiew! Thank you very much and I'm very happy you are enjoying my posts =]

    And you are a very fast reader!! =] but kind of sad that the pilgrrimage will be ending tomorrow! It's like I wont be able to bringing everyone the joy and fun anymore!

    It will only be better years ahead! I wish you and Michelle all the best and happiness and great health always!! =]

    haha.. stayed tune.. my post today will be coming soon.. and updating some pictures now..

    ReplyDelete