Sunday 5 December 2010

5th Dec – Day 29, Temple 7 to 11 (Juurakuji, Kumadaniji, Hourinji, Kirihataji, Fujiidera)

Last night was another freezing night. I tried to have a sip of the shochu (40% alcohol level like Chinese white wine), that I bought from the convenient store a couple of days ago, before I slept but I guessed a sip was not good enough. The blankets did not help much and I was awoken at 2am! I tried my sleeping bag and managed to survive till 5am when it was time to wake up.

The five temples that I covered today were all pretty closed by, except the last one which was 2.5 hours away. I started around 7:11am and it was a very cold morning. Met a few walking henro that I saw yesterday. Two were walking alone. They were pretty quiet, like me. I briefly chatted with the older one and he gave me some peanuts as “o-settai”. Did not get to talk to the other younger one. Also met a group of 4 walking together. 3 of them were from Osaka and the other was a local from Tokushima. One of them gave me a little toy as “o-settai”. We stopped at a rest place at the same time and took pictures together as well.

I realized Japanese are very courteous. They would say your Japanese was very good with just a “Konnichiwa”! Every Japanese whom I met, said that!! Since the day I tried the raisin bun with butter, I was a spoilt kid! I didn’t want to eat just the raisin bun without first applying some butter beforehand! And I didn’t like walking pass residential houses. Always smell of very nice cooking!!

The staff at Temple 9 was very cheerful and friendly. She wished me “Have a nice day” in English! At Temple 10, there were the steps that I read about for the men and the women. 333 was for the gentlemen and 234 for the ladies. Devotees would usually place a 1yen coin on each step as they walk up. On the way down, I stopped at some shops to look around and found a white cocoteen! Tried that but the original tasted better. Got some biscuits from a fellow henro at the shop as “o-settai”. And I had used up all my name slips for the day already!

On the way to Temple 11, a car stopped next to me and gestured if I needed a ride. I showed the old man the walking sign with my fingers and bowed to thank him for the offer. I always think Japan is a very safe place, not just for travelling alone. The residents here could just leave their car keys inside their vehicle but just no where to be seen! I had witnessed a few occasions.

Saw a man fishing in the middle of the lake! I wondered how he got there. It was probably a boat. Soon, I walked through a big plantation area. My walk was distracted often to take pictures. At 12pm, it was burning hot! I had removed my jacket. And then, ah… nice cooking smell again!! It was already 1:00pm and my stomach was not very patience at all! I was just another hour to the temple, but decided to detour to look for lunch instead. Nothing was found until I reached Lawson and thought not another convenient store’s meal again!! Luckily, there was a restaurant just opposite and went in immediately. Ventured one of those pancake like dishes instead of fried udon again. It was nice and very filling! I believed nothing that went into my mouth could go wrong those days. After the meal, I was so tired and dozed off, and even had the time for a dream too! Maybe someone was trying to “incept” me and I got a “kick”!

It was always difficult to walk again after lunch. For the past three days, I kept singing and humming the duet written by my university mate, Swee Ann, which Julie Kwan and I were the singers then. I could still remember the verse’s lyrics!

I wasn’t sure why but when I saw McDonald on the map, I felt happy very naturally! I hardly eat back home and always try to avoid fast food. Tonight’s dinner was destined to be there again! Temple 11 wasn’t anything fancy. Bought a couple of gifts and quickly headed for my free lodging at the onsen. After a difficult half an hour walk, I was at this place called Duck’s Onsen! And it was great, minus the missing blankets. Much cleaner with laundry for just 200yen! But of course I had just did mine yesterday. And the best was having the bath just next door. There was even a specific button on the ticket machine for walking henro at the onsen with discounted rate of 360yen (Normal price was 450yen)!! After oriented myself, I got ready for my hot bath and the first thing that caught my eyes inside the bath area was a nearly full body tattoo man! Not sure if that was Yakuza’s. As I was happily scrubbing my feet, the lady who had been attending me just now, suddenly emerged in front of me!! I was paralyzed for a moment! I had forgotten it was normal here, but still I tried to cover my important zone. In fact, it applied to the shared toilets at the temples as well. The urinals were usually visible to all who pass by!

After a wonderful sauna and hot bath, I borrowed a bicycle and ride to the Marunaka supermarket (which was not stated in my guide) as directed by the staff. I needed to get 2 sets of breakfasts, 2 sets of lunches and 1 set of dinner and many packets of cereal bars. Tomorrow would be my real test for the first henro korogashi (difficult route of the pilgrimage)! 6 hours of repeated uphill and downhill. I started to worry if I could complete it before dark!

After my shopping, Mac Donald was just nicely located opposite the supermarket! I was so excited like a kid rushing to get a seat with power plug and made my order! It was a great decision after all! There was a free wifi for me to tap on!! I stayed till 9 plus and didn’t want to go. Wished I could hang around for supper and had the Texas burger again!! Went back quickly to get some good rest for the big day tomorrow!

Today, I did 21.8km and realized it was difficult to predict when I could finish yet, if I could at all.

1 comment:

  1. Chee Seng, have faith in yourself... You can make it in time!!!
    Wishing you all the best and looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete