Monday 20 December 2010

16th Dec – Day 40, Temple 27 (Kounomineji)

It was a very cold morning. I thought my sleep wasn’t that bad. I woke up only twice at 2 plus and then 4:30am again, before my alarm rang at 5. After packing up, I walked back to the Michi-no-eki to wash up and had my breakfast. It was so cold that I had to hide inside the convenient store while eating my bread!

In fact, it was freezing cold the whole day! I started around 7:35am and once again the coffee proved to make the difference. Without much realizing it, I had already walked an hour and reached the point where I would meet another 3.4km long Henro Korogashi Dragon! My fingers were still frozen inside my new gloves, which were supposed to be better!

Old man with his dogI met an old man walking up with his dog! I would love to play with the dog longer! Then, I saw a black cat sitting right in the middle, as if it was trying to look for a fight! My name, Korogashi Dragon Slayer, was not earned without a reason! I killed this one in merely an hour at 435m a.s.l.! It got colder! I had my tea break inside a restaurant. The returning path was tougher actually. I had to take the same 3.4km trek down, and the constant pressing on my toes were painful as a result of the few hours in Nikko two days ago.

I stopped at the same spot where I was about to ascend earlier today, in order to adjust my shoes to be looser. The socks that I had on were rather too tight. About 10 minutes later, I was back to Route 55 and an hour more, I reached another Michi-no-eki to break for my lunch. Glad that the restaurant owner allowed me to have my bread indoor! It was just too cold to stay outside today! My small can of tuna was rather too much and I had to finish it off with 3 breads! After another can of cocoteen, I guessed I was too full again! I stayed inside the hut for about an hour, planning for tomorrow’s journey, since I have only a short walk more to end my day. The fact that I could possibly have Mac Donald again tomorrow, lived up my spirit!

The next 2 hours were really dreadful. I was still very full and I believed the prunes had upset my stomach, because I ate the semi-rotten portion as well. I was slower than a snail. Around 2:30pm, I finally reached the town, Aki, and began checking out each of the toilets shown on the map! Found the first one, but coincidently it was renovating. I needed to walk half an hour more to the next few available toilets. But, along the way, I saw a small park and crossed over to have a peek. It was quiet and perfect to put up my tent. There was a huge handicapped toilet as well, and it was clean. As usual, I took out my stuffs for the onsen later and left my backpack inside the toilet. I moved up further and discovered the supermarket and convenient stores, but there weren’t any promising restaurants to be found yet.

It was very cold and I went into a pachinko centre with seats to warm myself up. In exchange, I had to sacrifice my ears to the mind-blowing noise created by the machines. I bet those inside the building must have ear plug with them!! I tried the internet access but unfortunately, the signal was only strong outside the building.

It was around 5pm. I walked back to the handicapped toilet and found the door was opened!! Luckily, my baggage was still around. Someone had used the bowl but did not flush! I closed the door and went to look for the onsen. It was a small place and cost only 360yen. Realized they did not provide any shower and shampoo cream! The guy next My Toilet Hotel!to me was nice and didn’t mind I smell like him after the shower! I remained inside the rest area at the onsen to charge my laptop and also to update my blog. I was totally dog-tired. And hence, I decided to “check-in” to my “hotel”! Japan has many types of hotel. Love Hotel, Capsules and the latest was Toilet Hotel! Inside, you have, obviously, the toilet…. and…. nothing else but what a toilet should have. Of course, I was just kidding. There was no such thing as Toilet Hotel. I decided to sleep inside the handicapped toilet tonight, because I was just too tired and lazy to set up my tent!

Around 7, I felt like munching already and decided to try the ramen near my “lodging”. I had a set dinner for 1030yen, but unfortunately the wifi access didn’t work indoor as well! After that, I walked to the supermarket to get my breakfast. Wanted to have something sweet to go with my hot coffee and saw a very alluring dessert cakes at 369yen. As I was about to pay, I passed by the food section and saw many of the items were on half price!! Huge drumstick at 150yen! Yaki sticks at 150yen!! Chickens dice at 150yen!!! And many many more!! I was so tempted to grab some of them and leave the dessert cake behind!! I hung in there with my cakes and walked to the cashier still thinking about the 150yen! Then, I forgotten my hot drink and the cashier pointed me to the food section again where the hot drink was! And so, I had to deal with the temptation the second time!! I stayed around in the supermarket rest area to have my half-price salad and lukewarm coffee. Tried to microwave it, but it didn’t work! In the end, I was too full to have my dessert cake, and so I kept it for breakfast tomorrow.

I went back to my Toilet Hotel and found out the wifi worked only outdoor somehow! When I was inside, I could not have a signal. But, the moment I stepped out of the toilet, I got the reception. I dared the cold and uploaded some of my blogs on a bench just outside the toilet. Very shortly, I couldn’t tolerate anymore and went in quickly into my sleeping bag at around 10pm.

Today, I walked another 21.3km. Cool!
Cooler!Coolest!



3 comments:

  1. Did you take a pic of that toilet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... How come you hair doesn't seem to be growing? Kuan.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, Steven =]

    yeh lo, kuan!! I was really disappointed.. I thought I would look like those in the movie when they had finished their "闭关", with hair like a beggar and moustache and beard all over my face!!!

    ReplyDelete