Monday 20 December 2010

19th Dec – Day 43, Temple 32 to 34 (Zenjibuji, Sekkeiji, Tanemaji)

I supposed the night wasn’t too cold. My sleep wasn’t interrupted much and I even thought I overslept when I woke up at 4 plus. The dry morning made it much easier to pack up the tent. When I was about to go, it was already 7:15am.

Nice 'o-settai' cracker!Temple 32 was just 30minutes away. After that, the walk just didn’t feel right. “Ah Wing” was just too heavy today! I blamed it on not having the coffee and gave myself an excuse to stop again for a can! Also took the opportunity to change my sock to a thinner one. The last two days weather had been really great. It was hot again! I wonder what was the black magic did my sister casted! Once I had the caffeine, I got the hang of my backpack again, although I knew it was probably not the coffee that did the trick. It was all in the mind! After so many centuries, my ghoul’s fingers finally turned more human-like now!

I was planning to end at Temple 35 since there was a free lodging there. But, it looked pretty tight to be at the temple on time, since I needed to do my laundry as well. I took a look at the free lodging guide from two sources and it seemed pretty convincing that Temple 34 had one too!

I asked the convenient store attendant for the closest coin laundry and thankfully there was one just a short detour away. It was just a small one with no seats. While waiting for my laundry, I dropped by a bakery to get some tea break. The doughnut and egg bun were heavenly! Almost wanted to turn back for another one! When it was time for drying, I realized I had actually done my laundry one day in advance! I still had another set of clean clothing!!

The bridge that I'd just crossed!Around 11am, I continued to Temple 33. Crossed over a long bridge and saw many people fishing after that. There was even free ferry service mentioned in the guide, if you didn’t fancy taking the bridge. I was amazed it was actually part of a walking henro’s path!

There weren’t many signs to direct you to Temple 33, IStone-like dried potato! wondered if this area had many non-believers as well! I almost thought I got lost. At the temple, I bought some snack for 350yen, but the dried potato was as hard as a stone! I observed that I wasn’t very lucky with trying new things! The ginger slice that I bought, also for 350yen, at Temple 22 was still taking up space in my backpack!

Since I had more time now, I wanted to eat some cooked rice so badly that I detoured again to a convenient store that I saw on the map. But, I was so pleased I saw an Okunomiyaki (Japanese pancake) restaurant instead, along the way! I had the rice like it was the main dish! Very good bowl of rice indeed, but a bit pricey at 200yen! To be fair, the Okunomiyaki was pretty good as well. The cook managed to make the vegetables inside not overly done, and there was ginger in this special Japanese pancake that I had!

Needless to say, the walk with a full stomach after that was challenging. I progressed like a tortoise, but I was still early at Temple 34 around 2:45pm. After my prayer, I asked about the lodging and there was really one! However, the staff didn’t seem very welcoming and told me that I could only go in at 5pm! I was perfectly fine with that, and I asked if I was supposed to come back to look for her. She said the place was somewhere else pointing to the left direction and told me a name. So, I thought it probably wasn’t at the temple but some other nearby area and went to find the place. I was lucky and met a restaurant owner just outside the temple and he volunteered to help and walked me back to the temple staff. They were then conversing very fast and fluent that I couldn’t catch anything out of it. Later, the restaurant owner told me to come back at 5pm at the same place where I got my temple stamp!

The brand closest to the taste of the bottled milk!It was still around one and a half hours more before 5. I asked a shop owner outside the temple if there was any grocery store. They were very nice and lent me their bicycle! I rode to the place but there was a sign that mentioned it was closed on 19th December! I followed the guide map further up and found the store in the map instead! Unfortunately, there wasn’t much hot food on sales, and no microwave as well to heat them up. I just bought some banana and had a hot bun, a strawberry cream bun and a half-price milk there for tea break. The milk was only 64yen before discount! Should had grabbed a couple more! And I noticed, things at grocery doesn’t always sold cheaper than a vending machine!

Couldn’t find any place with power plug around the area, I rode back. Discovered that the man-made mirrors that I had been seeing along the walking path at the side of the road was probably for cyclists to take note when they wanted to The 300yen room!make a turn! I rested at a sheltered area with milk and instant noodles vending machines just opposite the temple. I was so tired and took a short nap, but I overslept and woke up at 5pm! I quickly crossed over to look for the temple staff but it was already closed!! Luckily someone responded when I rang the bell! He showed me the room and asked for 300yen to stamp the book. I read about this in the guide, but I thought I had already got my stamp earlier. Didn’t want to question further, I just paid and confirmed later it was a separate charge to stay at the lodging, because the staff just stamped on the same page again the second time! Anyway, there was nothing to complain about. The room was really nice and clean. Most importantly, I could have hot shower!!!! This place was quite good, since there were food readily available around the lodging.

I went for my shower at once and then bought two instant noodles separately for my dinner! Finished off the can of sardines and corns that I had as well. After that, I updated my blog and went to bed around 9pm. It was pretty cold even inside the building, but the blankets kept me warm all night!

Today, I actually walked less than 19.9km because some of the distance was covered yesterday on the way to the park.


2 comments:

  1. Reminder: Don't overwork Ah Wing pls... Sunny days ahead for you and Ah Wing. Love, Kuan.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. and guess what!? the picture of the milk i had in this post was actually the same brand as the wonderful bottled milk I mentioned! haha..

    ReplyDelete