Monday 20 December 2010

20th Dec – Day 44, Temple 35 to 36 (Kiyotakiji, Shouryuuji)

Last night was a good night! The blankets kept me warm and asleep although I had lots of dream and probably did rest well. I started my walk around 8:05am.

I remembered catching the weather report on TV at the Onsen a few of days ago that today was a rainy day at most part of the island, except for Kochi! There were a few droplets this morning but by 11am, it got very sunny again!

Temple 35 was just 2 and half hours away. Passed through a bigger Tosa city and got distracted by MOS burger for a moment. There was a short hike but no sweat! At the temple, I met a part time o-henro-san. Hanada-san was walking once every 11 days! He was staying at the same place I was going too! He went off first, while I took time for my tea break.

Nice soup!!Nice rest hut!After another 2 hours, I stopped at a nice rest hut with even a slide, and had another round of tea break. There was a Tomato Basil on the vending machine and gave it a try. It wasn’t too bad! While I was deciding between a can of boring Cocoteen or a nice coffee again, I couldn’t resist to jump on the slide! It wasn’t actually easy to set my camera and run to the slide on time within 10 seconds. But, I had a perfect take with 3 shots very well taken in the best sequence! For that, I rewarded myself with a coffee instead!


Next, it was an 800m upslope to 180m a.s.l. With the heat from the sun as well, I was drenched by the time I reached the top. I met Hanada-san again and we walked together after that. He was 55 years old from Fukuoka. When we reached the main road, we parted again. I wanted to go to the shopping center for lunch, while he moved on to the temple.

I was going to cross the bridge!Drying salted fish?And I really thought it was a shopping center, as the name suggested, but it turned out to be just a normal supermarket! I had my rice for lunch and bought my dinner and breakfast. Reached Temple 36 in an hour later. The name was called Green Dragon Temple, and I was expecting a green dragon head at the front gate! Didn’t realize the dragon was hiding at the back of the temple. The few hundred meter upslope was pretty harsh on my already wearing shoulders! But, the end result was really rewarding! I finally reached the dormitory and it looked more like a 5 stars hotel to me!! I was still doubtful when I checked in at the reception if the price was really 2500yen!

Nice view of Pacific Ocean!This is what happened to your sock when you walked more than 20km a day!Immediately, I went for my bath to get rid of the stinky smell on me! I met Hanada-san at the onsen again! This place was really amazing! There was a superb view of the Pacific Ocean, and the staff was recommending the outdoor onsen where I could enjoy the great view! The staff was really friendly and nice. He suggested the walking options to the next temple and proposed a couple of good accommodation along the way. He then showed me through a telescope to view the moon. And, it was incredible how beautiful the moon was, up close! He sighed that tomorrow would be a rainy day, or else the view along the early part of the journey would be devastating!

Wonderful beer!Around 6, I had my dinner at the lounge. Open aired onsen with amazing view!After that, the staff was very kind to offer the internet cable when he saw I was with my laptop! And since then, I was fixed in front of the computer for hours! I heard Emil Chou’s hit tune playing at the lounge. Then, Leslie Cheung, then Leon Lai, then Miriam Yeong! I had been listening to “Japanese” songs all these while!

Around 11:30pm, the staff went to bed and closed all the lights, but he was still very nice to let me use the internet! He slept at his office everyday! However, my laptop suddenly went into snail mode!! Perhaps, it was time to go to bed! I logged off and went up to my room to get some rest at 12:30am.

Today was a 24.1km walk from Temple 34 to 36.Happy!Happier!!Happiest!!!





2 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures! Is that your dorm? Kuan.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are referring to the view, my sock, the beer and the onsen, yes it was the dorm!!

    ReplyDelete