Monday 19 May 2014

BWC 2014 - 17th May (Day 3 - visiting Estadio Nacional)

the path just outside Fernanda's house


It was a good sleep. I even dreamt of returning an assist to Neymar to score a goal!! It was pretty cold at night and early in the morning. I woke up around 7:15am before the alarm rang.

Got prepared and met Andre, Fernanda's younger brother on my way out. It was meant to be a 10 to 15min walk as guided by Fernanda last night. I thought it would be easy. When I came to a junction, I wondered if I should continue straight or make a right turn. I turned eventually and then made another turn where I could see the cars running. I was like 20 steps away from the main road when I thought the direction wasn't quite right if there was supposed to be a shortcut from the gym near her house. So I turned back and eventually walked a big circle around to come back to the same place where I was 20 steps away!! My first instinct has always been working, but somehow I chose to doubt it. So the short walk turned out to be an hour morning exercise instead! Actually I really didn't mind the lost time, but coming out without the socks and the wrong shoe was the biggest mistake of all time. I ended up with 4 blisters and an injured leg!

Finally at the bus stop, I waited for some time but none of the bus seems right. Then I asked a lady who came to catch a bus too. She was very kind and I think she waited until I boarded the right bus before she did because we saw many buses passed by. I thanked her very much and hopped on to the right bus which took only 20min to reach the central bus station. After getting off, I grabbed something for breakfast and asked for the direction to the National Stadium. This was the first time, I could guessed all his wording. He asked if I was walking or taking the bus. After showing him the walking finger sign, he pointed the direction and said straight, straight that sounds like "Head", "Head". He even told me the estimated walking time which I could not figure it out at all.

on the way to the National Stadium.
It wasn't difficult to find the stadium but the walk was also another 20min. At this time, my left knee was still going fine except the blisters were killing. The entrance I was supposed to go was locked. The guard directed me to the other end for entry. Another 8min walk or so, I found a temporary counter tent. The guy in charge spoke some English. I tried to explain my purpose but he didn't seem to know anything about the volunteer program. Nevertheless, he handed me the access wristband. I walked to the entrance and tried to “talk” to the policeman. Obviously, they don't know anything about volunteer program too. 
An elegant goal post!
So, I just went into the stadium and try to the look for block number where we were supposed to meet on orientation day, the next day, hoping to find someone from the Volunteer Team. No one was around too. I walked around the stadium, took some pictures and had a long sit before deciding to leave. Just then, I saw some helpers picking up trashes, and thought perhaps they were the volunteers! I asked the leader in the group but he doesn't speak English and directed me to move in front for help. I walked further and asked someone with a staff wristband. He barely speaks English too but helped me to look for another guy. This other guy talked on his walkie-talkie for a while and pointed me to look for a different guy in blue down on the field. 
Mow mow mow your lawn, gently down the field
He said “blue”, “blue”!  I thanked them and went down to hunt the Blue Guy. He seemed busy and always on the walkie-talkie. Managed to catch him shortly and explained my situation. He was very patience trying to understand my needs although his English was limited. Finally he found a manager from the security department, Andrey who speaks fluent English to attend to me. He told me there were no LOC members around that day. I didn't place much hope either but since I was in the stadium I might as well try to get some help. He then offered me to drop by for a match later at 4pm between Luziania and Brasilia from Serie D.  I thanked him and the rest of the guys and left around 1 to grab my lunch.

Estadio Nacional de Brasilia!
It was a long painful way back to the shopping mall, which was next to the terminal bus station. I tried to get a prepaid SIM card and bumped into a random shop asking for one recommended by girlfriend under the company Vivo. The shop attendant, who speaks some English, brought me to the Vivo Centre instead. I had a long chat using the translator with a kind and patience staff. Finally she understood me and pressed me a ticket number. However, the counter lady wasn't able to help me. She tried to talk to her but eventually it didn't work out. She then found the security guard who speaks some English to convey the message to me. In the end, she wrote a message on a paper for me to get the prepaid card from another shop instead. I thanked them very much and was relieved and happy that I got my card after all even though it took an hour or so!!

Brazilian shrimps meal...
The jetlag seemed to hit me now. My eyes were super dry. My legs were not mine. I was a little frustrated trying to find the male toilet which was at a different location than the female at this shopping mall!  Starving by now, I walked around the food court and eventually ordered something I would considered local. It was pretty good, mixing the shrimps in tomato sauce together with rice and crunchy chips again. (The Brazilian seems to use this a lot in their meals here. Had this in my hotdog during my supper on the first night)

I could hardly walk further and sat on a bench resting while checking out the internet. Saw the cleaner in the mall with inline skate and find them pretty cool. Wanted to take a picture but was blocked by patrons unfortunately.


Match steward at work!
Brasilia vs Luziania

Around 3pm, I was struggling whether to watch the match and I was really glad I did. The stadium was getting crowded when I reached the spectator entrance. I reckon I couldn't enter from here and walked further to get in from the same entrance I went in this morning. The policeman already recognized me. I found a seat closest to the pitch. The first time I was so close to a professional player. The game already started. I watched a while and moved away from the goal post to the corner kick area. 

The match is getting intense!
Luziania the eventual champion.
After half time, I decided to finish the game and moved closer to the center of the field. After a while longer, I moved to the top center together with most of the other supporters. Brasilia finally scored in the dying minutes from set piece and the match ended 1-0 but Luziania won the championship of Serie D.

By now, I was basically limping to the bus station.  Many other

Closest you can get to the players!

supporters were going the same way too. The roads here were wide, but jay walking was just as common.  Trying to find my bus around the station but couldn't seems to locate it. So, I asked the station staff and was pointed to the C11 bus stand to wait. It was almost 20min when a bus finally came that looks like a possible candidate. I got the confirmation from the same staff who was the driver himself. He even guided me to alighting at the right bus stop! I could understand why Fernanda said it was difficult to move around in Brazil without your own car.  Just ask any Malaysian and they would agree too.

I was already a walking zombie. It was almost 8pm. I went to the supermarket to get some bread, cheese and butter for breakfast tomorrow. Thought of finding a place for dinner but it started to drizzle. Decided to go home straight instead. Had my shower and was so tired that I didn't even had my dinner (except the delicious dessert that Fernanda made herself!) and slept at 11pm.










No comments:

Post a Comment