Saturday 24 May 2014

BWC2014 - 22nd May (Day 8 - Volunteer Training Day!)

Estadio Nacional!


I woke up around 6:15am to get ready for my Volunteer Program Training Day!  Actually, I had doubt there were such training arranged at all since the staffs also told me to come on Friday instead, but of course I wouldn’t want to miss anything.  If there isn’t any training, I could go to the famous Paranoa Lake in town.

I walked out to the main road as usual.  There were many buses and also traffic congestion too!  Almost immediately I got my bus that goes to Rodoviaria (Bus Terminal).  And as usual, I walked almost 30 minutes to the Volunteer Centre, which was a different smaller stadium next to the National Stadium.  I was early at 8:30am.  I met the security guard and told him where I want to go.  Unfortunately, he pointed me to the Stadium instead after I showed him the email about my training.  There were two other local, one of them a Volunteer too, called Elaine.  They talked to the security guard but were not allowed to go in as well.  All of us were directed to the Stadium.  I had the feeling we must be heading to the wrong place.  Anyway, I couldn’t explain in Portuguese and could not follow them to the Stadium.  We walked halfway and saw an entry but the security guard stopped us again.  I guessed they were trying to convince the guard to let us in and walk lesser.  When we were finally inside the stadium, Elaine asked anyone around she could possibly find and we were directed to so many places, but still no one could help us yet.  Eventually, we were led to the main office of the LOC (Organizing Team).  Just as I thought, the staffs there informed that we should be at the Volunteer Centre instead!!  We walked back diligently and along the way, met a LOC member who was very nice to walk us a long way making sure we were not lost, before he returned to where he were supposed to go.

waiting to collect my
accreditation badge!
At the Volunteer Centre, I met Almare again and told him about my training.  He just advised me to wait for the Catering coordinators.  After Elaine was attended by the other staffs, we both sat at the stadium seats, waiting together.  She doesn’t speak English and while I was trying to get her write down her name, she gave me her phone number as well!  Only close to 10, I met Bid (the Catering assistant) again. I showed him my email and he brought me to the Catering office where I met two other volunteers.  We had some coffee and snack before proceeding to the office together with the main coordinator, Tony.
Catering Volunteer members at work!
Tony started the introduction and explained the details, all in Portuguese.  Bid was besides me trying to translate as much as he could.  The caterer was Sapore.  (The next day, I found out from Pedro who works at Aramark that they were the food provider for this big event, and Sapore is a local restaurant they engaged to cook the food.)  Tony said we don’t have to deal with the food.  Our role was just coordinating the operations.  The Volunteer Centre was mainly for the volunteers.  However, the food here was provided for the volunteers, LOC members as well as some FIFA staffs.  There were three other restaurants, “Restaurante Verde” (Green restaurant), “Restaurante Amarelo” (Yellow restaurant) and another at the Stadium Media Centre (SMC).  Bid told me to relate Green to grass and hence cheaper, while Yellow to gold and hence a more expensive restaurant!  I liked his way of explaining.

There were 26 volunteers in the Catering section and I was the only foreigner!!!  10 of us will be working on each day, stationed at different restaurants, the Volunteer Centre or the SMC.  Heard from Bid that if you are assigned to the SMC, you will be serving drinks to the world media!! And even get the glimpse chance of catching the match live!!  I really hope I could be there at least for a day!

Damn, so many numbers but
no access to Field of Play!
After the introduction in the room , more volunteers came.  There were 7 of us today including myself.  The rest has collected their accreditation badge except the three of us.  Bid brought us to the accreditation centre to get ours.  I realized my original passport was not with me.  The staff at the counter wasn’t very happy.  He was doing his job and sent me to the Problem Resolution section.  I was relieved that my photocopied was accepted eventually.  Took my photo in a cubicle and then moved to collection counter to receive my freshly printed badge!  The others were already waiting for me.  We walked back to the Volunteer Centre together.

My free lunch!
It was almost 12 and lunch was self served.  The volunteer check in everyday at work with a card, values in it will be deducted when they check out for lunch.  Hence, some of us will station at the checkout counter, some at the end of the flow in order to prevent anyone going backwards, while some at the drink counters to hand out bottles drink.  Since I don't speak Portuguese, Bid assigned me to hand out the bottles drink.  

We had one round of volunteers coming in.  There was really nothing much to do besides standing the whole time.  After this group, I was lucky to be the first two going next because I was getting hungry already.  As always, beans again and I liked the beef a lot!  I had a quick lunch so that I could take over the other’s place who had not eaten yet.  Around 2:30pm, everyone had their lunch (except of course the caterer staffs) and our job was finished.

Sun tanning time for the grass!
If you are naughty at the stadium,
you will end up here!
After lunch, I thought we were done for the day because the caterer were packing up too.  Of course, not so soon.  We got a bottle of water each and Tony started to bring us around to those restaurants and the SMC area.  One thing he stressed on was dealing with VIP and famous people around.  We were not allowed to take pictures, ask for autograph or even utter a single word to them.  Bid put it, not even a “Hi”!  If caught, we would be expelled immediately!  That sounds really scary and suddenly I thought what if they were trying to talk to us?!  Luckily, Tony consoled us that we could talk to them if they started the conversation!!

Brazilian ice cream man!
Breathtaking Brasilia city!
Learned from Bid that Brasilia is also very different from the other cities in another way.  The red soil is only found here in Brazil and this often makes the area red and dusty.  Bid was a frank guy, he told me how his country is suffering from poverty, bad health care and education system even though the tax is high.  Sometimes, public protest were inevitable, especially during this World Cup period because many local actually boycott the game to be hosted here.  So, they might target volunteers because we are helping FIFA for free.  However, Bid assured that police and arm forced will be patrolling around the Stadium very tightly to ensure the safety of all.  Bid himself is a martial arts expert.  He is a Wushu and Taekwando black belt.  No wonder he doesn’t look like 40 years old.  Bid owed a gymnasium and will be opening another big one soon with his partner!  He was very keen on kungfu and thought his ancestor might originated from the Oriental!  One funny culture of Brazilian that he shared with me is using short syllabus words.  They like to say it short, like “Hap” as in “happy”, Eddie Murphy becomes something like Efi, while Demi Moore becomes Demoore!

The famous TV Tower!
We ended the tour at the LOC main office and ended the day.  I thanked Tony and Bid brought us back to the Volunteer Centre where our bags were kept.  We left around 4pm.  

Surprise supper from
Fernanda's mom!
The traffic was bad and I reached home at almost 6.  The bus driver here was just like the minibus in Kuala Lumpur, as fast and as daring.  Anyway, it was just nice for dinner.  For the third night in a row, Mavericks was like my dining room now.  I wanted to order their fried noodle after so many days of rice.  Unfortunately, it was not available in the menu anymore!  I ended having the same fillet beef I had the first night.  And this time, I managed to get my onions!  However, I was a little disappointed that the serving wasn’t as much as the first round.

Walked home, showered and went straight to bed at 11pm eagerly waiting for my first day of work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment