Wednesday 21 May 2014

BWC2014 - 19th May (Day 5 - Rotting at home)

Today was such a boring day that I recommend you skip it completely now unless you so enthusiastic that you like to challenge how boring this coming post could be.


Here it comes...

Be warned!

I slept so early last night that I set my alarm at 5am! Of course it was not possible to wake up at this hour. It was still very dark outside. I slept on till 6:30am.


The beautiful bird flew away...

Had my breakfast and met Fernanda who was about to leave for work. Her mom was already busy since the wee hours. She offered me juices and milk.

After breakfast, I started to get busy with my laptop. Checking out the attractions at Brasilia, searching for flight to Rio and looking out for the latest information on the volunteer program, but mostly I spent my morning updating the blog! I met Fernanda's dad for the first time whom as expected doesn't speak English too. Sometimes, I felt rude not talking to them especially the mom whom I see more often than the rest.

I also met Thigo, the elder brother whom I had been thinking he was Andre (the younger one). Until I saw Andre joining us in the TV room, I was stunned. The guy I was talking to the whole morning was actually a different person! They looked exactly like twins though Thigo was 26 while the brother is younger than Fernanda! When I told them about my mix up, Andre clarified that he is the more handsome one! Later, Thigo retaliated that Andre's soccer skill sucks.

Thigo was also in the advertising field, like my sister. He actually speaks lesser English than Andre. No wonder I find “Andre” couldn’t understand me well this morning.


wonderful lunch from Fernanda's mom!

Thigo offered me to share his mom's cooking for lunch with them. It was the best meal I had in Brazil so far. Love the meat and the meat!!

After lunch, I decided to rot at home for the day. Thigo went out and Andre was playing video games. We chat a while before I continued with my "work". Around 3pm, I took a break and thought of having a short nap. It turned out to be 3 hours!! I slept till it was dark outside!

After getting myself sober again, I walked to the bigger supermarket outside at the main road. Along the way, I saw some really nice juicy barbecue meat on sale at the street which was very tempting!


maggi mee!!!!

At the supermarket, there was a fast food restaurant, Giraffe, and I was


happy to have my dinner there. Not enough

Dinner time!!!

time to do some translation, I just pointed on one item in the menu. The staff’s body language suggested it was not available. Pointed another and no no, not available too. Oh, so she meant beef was sold out today. I picked the chicken but her reply was so long. I looked at her, she looked back. She smiled and continued. Next, I knew she was asking about side dishes, although all I heard that made sense was "tomate". So, tomato was my side today. Next she pointed to the fridge if I needed any drinks. I thought it was a set meal and happily chose the lemon tea. Even just a lemon tea, she has more to ask me!! I heard "zero" and that was what I got!! Phew! Never thought fast food could be so tricky to make that order! The chicken was very tender and delicious, more beans which was good too. Only that crunchy peanut portion I could not finished since it was rather sweet!


Brazil local beers!!!

After the meal, a fly keep bugging me near my mouth. She either likes my lips or the food inside it! A little annoyed, I walked away to start my shopping spree!! I always enjoy shopping at supermarket. There were many interesting food and things to see.

crispy crunchy chips!!

Apple, good; yogurt, nice; sardine in lime, interesting; tuna in tomato, more interesting; and I saved the best for last, the beer section! This place is a heaven for me. Beer is so cheap here and there are so many local beer for as low as $R1.30 only!! Heineken was three times cheaper than Singapore although I certainly wouldn't get that here. After much pondering and consideration, I finally picked two bottles of a local brand, Colorado, one Pilsner and the other Indian pale ale.

Happily checking out the items at the counter, I suddenly realized I didn't have enough

the famous cherry soda drink that my new Brazilian friends recommended.

cash on hand!! Sadly, I had to ask the cashier to cancel my two beers. Luckily I had enough for the rest.

After showered, I thought I probably could stay a while more for the night since I had a long nap this afternoon. But, by 12am, I was sleepy again. I guessed the jet lag probably hasn't over yet.







2 comments: