Friday 23 May 2014

BWC2014 - 21st May (Day 7 - Picnic at City Park)

a little lonely mango on a
naked tree!
Today plan was to chill out at the City Park. So, I had plenty of time and in no hurry at all.

Woke up at 6:30 and after breakfast, I played with the computer until 10am. After which, I decided to try the bus right outside Fernanda's house. Asked a couple of locals and they directed me to the opposite side. And so, I obediently waited.

In the process of waiting, there was time for me noticed three things. Firstly, the garbage truck here plays a music as well, like Taiwan. Secondly, I could see Herbalife. Ever since I met the family who worship Herbalife in Taiwan, I have been seeing it everywhere in Singapore, Malaysia and now in Brazil! Third and lastly, saw a crazy guy in his car trying to do a drift in the middle of the road! He must be on ice!


if the 2nd picture is for pregnant
women, what makes the 1st pic?

25min later, there was still no sign of the bus. The two locals who directed me to take 943 had already left too. The grass cutter guy was getting close and I had to cross over to avoid the dust and any small particles that might hit. Surprisingly, I saw a bus coming shortly which says "Rodoviaria". I quickly hailed for it and surely enough it was going to the bus terminal!! The local probably didn't know there are buses going to the terminal from both sides!

ducks at the City Park!


Inside the bus, often there are people singing or selling things to make a living. Yesterday was someone singing and today, we had two trying to sell their products.

I looked at the google map and found out that I don't really have to go all the way to the bus terminal. I alighted earlier and walked over to the City Park.


young kids enjoying
themselves!
the pink flower tree at City Park!

Passed through a school and saw some cool kids on top of a tree. I bid them "Bom dia!" And I heard one of them replied "Good Morning!"

The walk was not long. The park was really huge. Heard from the internet that it was even bigger than New York park. I strolled around near the lake. There were many people jogging, skating and cycling. I tried to find a best picnic spot. Walked round and round but could not decide where to settle down. Finally picked one as close to the ducks near the pond as possible. Not that I could see anything after I sat down. After my apple and yogurt, I tried to get some tan, but the ants began to retaliate for intruding their territory. I decided to sit up instead of lying flat. Read my book and enjoying the sunny day! After an hour or so, the ants were getting really annoyed. I had to pack up and moved on.

Since I was pretty close to the stadium, I thought of asking someone at the volunteer centre about my situation. So, I cut through the park till the end and crossed over to the stadium. On the way, I came to the accreditation centre which I was supposed to get my pass.


Picnic time!!!

At the Volunteer Centre entrance, I had no problem with the security

A huge City Park!

and walked in. Met Almare and told him about my concern. He tried to check my details in the system but there seemed to be some issue with the application. I showed them my schedule which starts on Friday. He called upon Flavia, his assistant, who could speak better English. Then I met Bid (pronounced as BG), the assistant coordinator of the Catering department. Actually he introduced himself as Alcebiades, which I hardly could pronounced at all without putting the word in front of me.

Finally, they told me that I could come on Friday morning (my first day of allocated work) half an hour earlier than my scheduled time to collect my accreditation badge, and then report for work at the Voluntary Centre. Knowing what I am supposed to do, I thanked all of them and happily left.
City Park lake!
It was still only around 3pm.  I was planning to go back to the Mavericks restaurant I went last night for dinner and to catch the NBA western conference final Game 2 between the Spurs and the Thunder.  So, I walked to the shopping mall again to kill time.  When I was at the car park, I saw three policemen stopping two kids. Both kids were raising their hands on the head and one of the police was even pointing the rifle at them.  They were also making the kids to take off their shoes and even the socks.  I was a little shock to see this.

I went straight to a different cafĂ© shop, ordered a Latte and just when I’m about to enjoy my book, I received an email from the Volunteer Team that there will be a training tomorrow!  Makes me wonder if the organizing team communicates!  


Doesn't it look like Pudu Raya
in Kuala Lumpur?

Managed to finish off another chapter of my book.  I’m already a very slow reader, what’s more reading a Chinese book!  Around 5pm, it was time to go home.  The bus terminal was busier than the previous days I was here.  On the way back, I was caught in traffic congestion for the first time in Brazil. I remembered how Aldo warned me about it.  This place really reminded me a lot of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, not just about the traffic jam.

my unconvincing baby beef!
Today, I tried the other option, Baby Beef, which was R$1 per 100g more expensive than the fillet beef I ordered yesterday.  Wanted to order the onions as the sides, but someone the boss could not understand me even with the translation.  In the end, he brought me some plain rice and capsicum and tomato in sour sauce!  The beef was also disappointing because it was exactly the same as the fillet beef, but uncut!!  Comparing to last night order, tonight was a little let down.  I checked the NBA game time again, and it was at 10pm!  Still about 1 hours plus to spare, I decided to skip the game and head home instead.

After some update to my blog, I slept at 11pm again.  It’s amazing how I could have done this, going to bed at 11pm and waking up around 6am everyday for almost a week now.  Perhaps, it’s the cooler weather here at night...  Ok, ok. I admit… there is probably no one to drink with me here instead…

No comments:

Post a Comment