Friday 30 December 2011

20.07.100 - Shanghai to Xiamen

I woke up and did some last minute packing. After my last minute breakfast at Wagas, I did some last minute research and made a couple of last minute requests on the couchsurfing website, hoping to get a bunk at Xiamen. When I realised, it was getting late at 11:36am! I quickly walked to the Weining road subway to catch my fast train from Shanghai Hongqiao to Xiamen at 12:20pm!! Alas, left my subway card at Yap's place. Wasted some time getting the ticket at the machine. Then, I realised I had forgotten my earpiece too. Thought I might have time to buy one at the train station, but I would almost had to stay at Shanghai for one more night, if I did not run for my train!!!

Though panting, I was glad to be sitting inside the train. Now, I realised I didn't had my water bottle with me as well. Although the trip was supposed to be as unprepared as possible, I thought I was rather too slack this time. I wondered what else could I had left behind!!

Since my last journey to the 9 mountains in China, it had been unrealisingly one month of slacking around at Shanghai and Hong Kong, although there was a short trip to Guizhou in between.

I lost my iPhone recently, but it could be a blessing in disguise since I could finally use my sister's notebook to write now! I was naive to think the train would not be full in China! As soon as the next stop came, a mother and her son sat next to me. I knew my backpack was going to attract a lot of attentions and the subject of topic, since it was so huge!! I knew I had overpacked again for just a month stay in Taiwan. My boots were hanging besides my backpack.

Without my earpiece, there was sadly no entertainment throughout my journey in the train! I could had just on the volume loud like the lady in my front seat, watching her show on her laptop, but I didn't. I regretted not bringing along Yap's mobile on broadband. I just slept like a lazy panda for half of journey, except having my lunch in between for an hour, until my head was spinning!! I missed O'Malley's!! Should have had a lst pint of my favourite Guinness before I started my adventure again.

Empty train!After struggling for more than 7 hours, I finally heard the announcement for the final stop, Xiamen! I was the only passenger left in my cabin! I was reminded again that opportunity came anytime, but didn't wait!! One had to grab it fast!!!

It was about 8pm when I reached Xiamen North station. It was like a deserted area. Walked to the bus stand and caught the bus number 953 to the main train station (the town area) Thought it was a short ride, but took almost an hour to reach! The bus announced in Hokkien as well and reminded me that I was at Fujian province already.

I started to regret not having a lighter backpack. Everyone was looking at me like I was from outer space!! After just an hour, I already felt so dragged down!! I wondered if I could hike like that at all!!

When we alighted at the terminal station, it was already 9 plus. Too hungry and tired, I just popped into MOS burger for dinner without looking further! Rested for a while and my watch showed 9:30pm! Felt a little panic for just a short while since I had not had any accomodation yet! I thought how worst could it possibly get!!

My creativity surprised me!I walked like 5 minutes and saw a decent hotel. Asked the reception and the price looked ok at RMB208 with internet. I checked in immediately. The room was very clean and nice. Surfed the internet for a while before I realised another "good" news! I didn't disappoint myself and really found out more one missing items in my lugguage!! My contact lense's casing!! I walked and asked around the area but had no luck. Back to the hotel after almost an hour of wasted trip! My creativity then surprised me when I found a way to use some cups to keep my contact lenses temporarily.

After my shower, I did some research on the hiking sites that I could try. Found a great webite by some westerner, sharing his hiking experience. His blog made mine looked like an unborn baby!!! I didn't feel like completing my blog on the 9 mountains journey in China!

BBQ at Xiamen!Around 1am, I could not resist but went down to the street for my bbq supper. The small stall was at a quiet street but the business seemed very good! I waited for some 20 minutes and I heard there were orders coming through the mobile phone! Eventually, I got some customer service since they remembered not to have chilli on my bbq. But, that wasn't very good afterall, since it made the food very salty!!

Somehow, I managed to resist the beer temptation and had a coke instead. Went back to my room and continued my research. Saved up some of the information on my Opera browser, wrote my adventure today on the notebook and went to be almost at 3am, hoping for a great day tomorrow to Taiwan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment