Wednesday 24 November 2010

18th Nov – Day 12, Bangai 11 (Ikiki Jizo), Temple 60 to 62 (Yokomineji, Kouonji, Houjuji)

Looked like sleeping out was difficult to wake up too. Since I slept so late last night, I tried to set two alarms at 5:30am and 6:30am. It was very cold last night, but I still managed to catch some sleep. I woke up just before the 2nd alarm was about to ring. This morning, I was glad the tent was pretty dry. I guessed there was lesser moisture at lower area. My general wound was not fully recovered. In fact, I had just aggravated it but still had it on for the day!

I used up my laptop battery last night and also didn’t get to charge my iPhone. I had 300+ unread messages on my Yak (works like WhatsApp, Msn etc for iPhone), and thought of reading them. After reading some craps from my fellow friends for 20minutes and 12% of my battery, I still could not finish! But it was fun and they charged me up for the day! After some warm up, I took off at 8:30am.

First stop was Bangai 11, which was just a stone throw away from my camp. Next was Temple 60 which was some 10km away. I learned something during this pilgrimage that when there was no henro sign, it would mean go straight! It reminded me of a friend whom I had asked for direction while I was driving. She would say “If nothing is said, it would mean go straight!” Then, I saw aliens descending from outer space! The sky was covered with clouds except 2 holes and the view of the sunlight shining through them was devastating!

I walked and walked and then rested at the side of a highway. A lady stopped her car and passed me a drink. I thanked her and wanted to give a name slip, but she insisted it was ok and left. It was amazing how short rest could help. I remembered a phrase from my friends. They always said “Rest in order to go a farther road!” I literally understood the meaning now. Then, I saw a monkey along the way, but it went into the jungle as soon as I took out my camera. After a while, it was time for a stop again. I finished off my chocolate. Next, the tough part began. A 2.2km of pure upslope to 800m above sea level!!! I met Shinya-san from Saitama along the way. I took me more than hour to reach the top after almost running out of breath! Had to make 2 stops along the way, to fill up oxygen and rest my legs. A walking henro told me about the sign which mentioned Temple 60 was not listed as one with the toughest route. He was smilingly complaining how that could be and even went to ask the master in the temple, who didn’t have the answer for him as well.

At the top, it was very cold. The temple staff who young. He asked if I was a student! I told him I was already 35. He said he was the same! And then, he gave me a cake after he asked if I was walking the trail. I did not offer my name slip. Perhaps, it was not necessary, just like the charm from Temple 55. After my praying, I met Shinya-san again. He was about to leave but he stayed a while to chat with me. I had my lunch there. Shinya-san was 28 and he worked as postman, fireman and others! He mentioned a term in Japanese, but I couldn’t remember what it was. Then, he looked at my Stamp book and said “steal”. I said, “No, I didn’t”. He said again with a “stealing” action! I affirmed him that “No, I bought it”. Later, I realized he was trying to tell me to take care of the Stamp Book because others would steal it! Shinya-san was a funny guy and laugh hysterically. He took pictures and even exchanged one of our bread! After he left, I was still around trying to retrieve my portable iPhone charger which was deep inside my backpack. Charge my iPhone for a while and took some pictures. I spent too long a time up there and left after an hour plus.

After what I had experience just now, I so like down slope! But 8km of downhill was no fun at all! It was like never ending! Came to a path with beautiful scenery and was cracking my head if I should take out my Lumix. I took a few with my iPhone in the end. Later, I found a convenient place to keep my Lumix on the left pocket of my Uniglo jacket. Soon, I was like a photographer. Walked a few steps and then took a few photos. Then, I reached a corner which looked like one I had been through before. Kind of those deejavu feeling. Finally, I completed the 8km labyrinth and started walking on tar road again. There was still 2.5km away to Temple 61! I wondered if I could make it to Temple 62 as planned. Luckily, I was just on time! Had to do praying without incense at Temple 62, because there was no candle with fire anymore and lighter was not sold. I guess they were preparing to close. I went to the male toilet and saw an interesting sign. “Female is not allowed to urinate here!” The sign was right in front of me when I was aiming at the urinal!!

It was around 4:30pm and started to get very cold already. I was too hungry and had my dinner first at the Lawson convenient store up ahead. After that, I was thinking if I should call to get a sheltered lodging. So, I walked towards the train station to look a public phone, which was on the way to the toilet marked on the guide map as well. I was indecisive again and went to the toilet site instead. Found out it was actually a small park! Just nice for setting up a camp. It wasn’t cold suddenly, and so I had my tent up and prepared to go back to the konbini. I asked if I could sit on the floor and use the power plug. Initially, the staff was ok, but an hour later, she came back to chase me away. So, I had to buy my breakfast and left. I came into a rice cleaning station and saw a power plug with light source as well! So, I happily typed my blog and charge my phone as well, only to find out 15minutes later that the power plug actually didn’t work! So I went back to my camp, cleaned up and slept at 10pm. The wind was strong, but my tent was tough and protected me well.

Today, I was just glad to meet my target with 22.3km.

2 comments:

  1. yay! you're back with the postings! :D and yay! you got a new jacket! but no yay you didn't use my card! hello? why u no accept my o-settai? i angers! also, how does the name slips work? and what wound are you talking about? is it your pants? your bag?

    take care of yoru stamp book! because people will steal it! like my stamped walking stick! hu hu hu... kuan.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. i had left your card with my friend in singapore la.. but thanks for the osettai.. i'll claim a few guiness from u whn i'm back in KL =]

    the name slip is kind of an offerring from the receiver to the giver as well.

    the wound was my pant.. i bought the needle and thread but still lazy to fix it yet =]

    ReplyDelete