Wednesday 24 November 2010

22nd Nov – Day 16, Temple 66 (Unpenji), Bangai 16 (Hagiwaraji), Temple 67 (Daikouji)

Today, I didn’t felt pure anymore. Our alarm rang at 6am together. As usual, I was the slowest and the rest were waiting for me in the car! The owner was sending us to the henro route. After 15 days on my foot, it was the first time I took a vehicle from one place to another! The ride was about 5minutes only. Somehow, I didn’t felt very good. I was thinking of being on the foot throughout the whole pilgrimage! I felt I should had declined the offer, but I could not react fast enough. I regretted being in the car. Like the Buddha said, in the previous henro story that I read, “Nothing is pure”

We reached the path to start the hike. The temple was 3.5km away. I was supposed to walk 6km more. It started to drizzle, but still wasn’t that bad. The hike up was just 1.5km, along the border of Tokushima and Kagawa Prefecture. The rest were up slope on tar road. So, my nightmare ended early. I thought I would expect another 1km of hike up! Around 2 hours, I reached the top at 911m. The highest temple of the 88.

The staff who gave me the stamp was really quick! Less than 15seconds, he was done! Then, Hajime-san, Kamada-san and I were checking out a pretty o-henro-san! After about half an hour, I bid them farewell. They were going to Temple 67, while I went my way to Bangai 16.

The down slope was one of the best I had. Flatter and lesser stones to avoid while landing my feet. I went down very quickly. Just another 15minutes before I reached, I couldn’t hold my urge any longer! And so, I did the unthinkable again in the wild! I moved a rock away and kept my “stuff” inside before I closed it up again using the same rock! While I was dressing up, I heard sounds from the ropeway and saw a cable car! I hoped they did not see what I was doing! I felt so much lighter after the “adventure”.

Today, I had a different sound to annoy me. My jacket was scraping the back of my bag! I decided to wash my shoe on the next laundry session! He has been doing great for me!

Bangai always gave me surprises! I was there according to the map, but just couldn’t see the temple. I almost walked in to a different road, until I asked someone driving in. I went to the car park again, but there wasn’t any sign. It was like playing hide and seek. I passed through a tunnel and reached some housing area. Tried to knock and ask for direction but no one answered. Then, I saw a car and quickly moved forward to enquire. Oh there was it, just on my right! When I left the temple, I realized I would see the sign if I walked just one tiny bit ahead more!

I smelled roasted pork at the temple! It started to rain when I was leaving. I put on my poncho, but forgotten about my shoe! The pouch belt was making my back very uncomfortable. I stopped by a shelter and hung it over my neck instead. It wasn’t a good idea. My baggage was very unhappy too. My shoes were all wet by now. And I was hot! I meant literally hot, with the raincoat on, even though it was raining! I stopped again at another shelter to tidy up my things. Finally I reached the Udon restaurant on the map and very happy to stop for lunch! The place was pretty interesting. You picked your own ingredient and cut it yourself! After lunch, I dozed off a few times trying to read my map! I was really tired.

I went off the henro track to a convenience store to get my dinner and breakfast, since there was nothing near the park, where I was going to camp later. After that, I followed the map to cut through and tried to join the henro path again, but got lost! Asked a couple of drivers but none of them knew where the temple was! After 45minutes of battle, I gave up and was on my way back to the convenient store to go back to where I came from. Half way through, I met the Americans!! They were actually following the sign and came to the same path as where I was! So, I joined them and we eventually managed to find the henro sign and backed on track.

I left the Americans at Temple 67. They were going all the way to the town, which were another hour from my park. I was too tired to walk further today. The rain got heavier. When I was almost at the park, I walked by a Udon restaurant and thought of having my dinner first, since it would be dark anyway by the time I reached the park. Unfortunately, it had already closed. But the owner was very kind and asked me in. She spoke some English and offered me two sushi rice and a cup of ocha. She asked if I like coffee too, but I promptly asked for leave. She gave me another drink and I gave her and her staff a name slips. Thanked the owner again with some direction from her and backed to the rain! On the way, I passed by a convenient store and saw seats available! No better place to have my dinner! I ate and then spent the next 3 hours there preparing my trip tomorrow, writing my name slips and updating my blog.

My guide book had became like a “salted fish” (badly crumpled in a Chinese phrase) due to the rain today. I didn’t felt like going to the park! It was warm and comfortable at the convenient store. I ate my supper and left reluctantly. Found the toilet and a good spot. Set up and slept immediately!

Today, I added 29.1km, but actually walked for 23.1km only due to the car ride! Based on the schedule from a fellow henro, who did the trail in 54days, I realized I had caught up with his plan by 1 day! Previously, I slipped two days behind.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! You are on track! Meaning you could possibly finish the trail in 54days? Yay! And don't feel bad about the car ride. Take it as o-settai. Remember to accept with good grace! :D kuan.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah.. definitely not 54 days.. i hope in 60days.. trying to meet the target day by day now.. =]

    ReplyDelete