Monday 25 October 2010

25th Oct - Quiet day at Beppu

I realized last night that if I were on Singapore paying my rent for 550 sin dollar, that would make up to 36660 yen approximately, which would allow me to stay at 3000yen accomodation at Shikoku during the trail for 12days!! So I would only need to sleep out every 2.5days and anything more would be a bonus!! =]

Woke up earlier than the alarm I've set at 8am. Showered and had my breakfast at the dorm. Later I tried to look for a prepaid sim card that comes along with a phone that u dispose off after use. At least that's what I heard. Went to the hotel suggested by the staff at the dorm but all they were selling were just phone cards. Since I'm going to be here another 89 days more, I might as well get a phone card to call home, in case I can't get the sim card. Slot in 1000yen and happily pressed the button with the nicest picture on the card. Only to realize later that it was for local call only. Damn it. Another 1000yen. Then I tried to call mom and it worked!! What am I talking about? Of course it would work!! Then I tried to call the farm place looking for Yuhei-san in Japanese. But I think he was not in. Had to call back at 3pm. I hoped that's what I heard.

After that, I went to the train station to ask for the earliest train to Ogata and to confirm how long was the journey. There was this lady occupying the English speaking information staff, and so I waited and waited and waited. That lady probably asked where she could find a husband around Beppu as well. So i decided to show off my Japanese and asked the other staff there! Before I could speak, she saw my Japanese phrase book and immediately directed me to the same English speaking staff. So I waited and waited and waited. By now, the foreign lady had probably asked about hospitalization fees for giving birth in Japan. So, I tried my luck again with a different staff. "Koko kara Ogata eki made, nan jikan kakarimasu ka?!" was my first question. The lady looked stunned at my Japanese. Luckily the old man next to her understood and said "ni jikan".
"so desu ne. ichiban hayai densha wa nan ji desu ka?!".
"ichiban hayai!?". The old man then directed me to a board outside and pointed at 752am for the particular line. I thanked him and left. The foreign lady was still there. She must be asking about the education for her kid by now.

Next I just walked aimlessly around to the park and the beach. Not long later, it started to rain again. Damn it. Should have brought my raincoat along. So I was stuck in front of an empty stall writing this. Half an hour and the rain didn't seems to get any lighter. I tried a few more steps and came to a shop selling food. It was 12pm and my stomach started complaining already. I hesitated cause I could see the prices from outside. The obasan waved at me to signal me to come in. I obliged. It wasn't that pricy. I picked up a chicken rice and tomato juice for 540yen. It wasn't that great too. Thanked the obasan for letting me to eat there and just on time, the rain got lighter. I moved on to Beppu park and made a turn back to my dorm. Nothing much interesting. Then I checked up on the transport from Yawatahama where the ferry will stop at Shikoku to the nearest temple 43 near Unomachi station. To save cost on the transport, I thought I should start my pilgrim from temple 43 instead of temple 1 at Tokushima, which is a 4 hours train away! It's not uncommon because many people from Kyushu did it this way too. So I supposed I should be able to get my pilgrim stuffs at temple 43. My eyes were working very hard to stay open. I took a break and dozed off for 45minutes or so.

Time to call the Yuhei san again. No luck. Answering machine. So walked aimlessly again and found these small interesting streets!! Red light district!! Then I found the onsen recommended by the dorm staff. For 100yen, I thought that must be the cheapest in town!! Doh!!! They don't provide towel. Well, I expected too much for 100yen. The lady said 250 for a towel. I hesitated. I told her I would be back later in my own Japanese language that only I could understand. I thought I must practice cost saving and limit any extra things to carry on my backpack. So I came back half an hour later. Went in to the men section. One look see all. (a Chinese phrase to mean the place is small). I got naked and oops!! Can't find any soap!! I expected too much for 100yen. So, I quickly rinsed myself very thoroughly using the COLD water there from head to toe without any soap and jumped into the pool before anyone see me. Then a guy came in. Cheh. (Cantonese tone to express that’s no big deal) He didn't even rinsed properly at all, not to mention without soap. Then 2 more guys came in. But they did bring their own shower cream and cleaned themselves up very thoroughly. Then a three generations came in. The dad rinsed a bit. But the grandpa also just jumped directly into the pool. Maybe that's the standard for 100yen onsen! But I did notice that all of them rinsed using the HOT water from the pool instead. I waved hello to the cute son =] the dad looked at me and smiled. After 20minutes cannot take the heat anymore. Dressed up and rest at the hall area.

Went to the food stall that Horimoto-san recommended. For 550yen, it was very filling although it wasn’t fantastic. After that, got my breakfast at a supermarket and tried to call Yuhei-san again. He was in and I told him that I would arrive around 10am tomorrow and will call him again when I arrived. He understood all that I’ve said!! Went back to dorm to rest. Chat with an old man staying in the same dorm. He was from Tokushima, Shikoku as well. We told me he had done the 88 temple pilgrimage 23 times!! 4 times was on bike. I hope that’s what I heard. The conversation was rather tough. I regretted for not doing my homework enough during my Japanese classes.

Enjoyed a while longer of the internet access and tried to plan for the trail. Knocked off early for tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. You lah. Japanese lessons so long, but tak boleh pakai one. Just stick to your phone's translator app, aye? By the way, was this the day we had our first video call? Damn, how could I not notice all you've blogged so far? I damn chehkai loh... Sorry koh. My support, prayers, well-wishes, hugs and kisses could have came in much, much earlier. Remember, you're my hero. You and Meiseji. You can do it. Just don't smart-alec, study maps, pray for luck and you're doing just fine! OK, I could go on and on again. Making for lost times lah... Really. Ngo dei hou gua gee lei... lei gee dou mou? xx

    ReplyDelete