Saturday 30 October 2010

27th Oct – 2nd day at farm, packing day

Set 630am but could only woke up at 7am. The weather seemed much colder here. That made it very difficult to get out of bed. I started to worry about my trail again. Too cold to shower and so I met Yuhei-san for breakfast at 730am as requested. They had all eaten already actually. Breakfast was pretty much like dinner with the soba fish replaced by a fried egg.

By 830am we set off to work. First stop was the rice field to set up straws of wheat to feed the cows. Surprised to see a lot of small spiders in the fields. Yuhei-san has 8 fields at 3 different locations. An hour later, we moved to the onion farm, trying to kill the weed that fight with the onion for food. Like yesterday, I fared badly again. The weeds were so close that I pulled the onion instead, on the couple of occasion. Of course, I did not tell Yuhei-san =] He suddenly asked me why I wanted to do this. You see, Yuhei-san is a guy with few words. I thought I was quiet enough, but so far, I had been asking the questions. I told him the model answer and then he asked when I'm getting married!! He said in English, "If u want, u should try".

Luckily we don't have to stay to complete the whole row of onions!! Would have taken me the rest of the day. We then went to the site where his elder son was representing his school in a 5 persons relay half marathon!! His son was the first runner. We waited and saw him!! I clapped and yell "Ganbatte, Gen-san!!" We spent 2 hours there as cheerleader in the cold wind. His son's school came in 2nd in the competition.

Interestingly, I noticed the Fire engine here has English on it saying "fire department call 119"! We went home and Yuhei-san prepared instant noodle. After lunch, we packed those self-made rice cakes for sale. These rice cakes are raw and need to be cooked. They are not cake from confectionary stall. Yuhei-san used a tube to suck out the air inside the bag before it was sealed using a machine. Then, we packed those Kabosu that I’ve separated yesterday into several boxes for sale as well. Obviously my quality control was bad. Many of them were rejected by Yuhei-san. After that, we started collecting various kinds of vegetables, including green capsicum and egg plants. The most interesting one was mushroom, where many logs where used to place bacteria in order to grow them. Yuhei-san said it takes one year to grow the mushroom. He also warned not to collect those grown on the ground. They are poisonous to eat!! He said you can die if you eat!! Unfortunately this was also where my disaster happened. I was walking among the logs and then I heard “creek”!! There goes my S$160 Goretex pant!! Very sadden by it indeed, after an interesting day. Careless pig!! I thought it would be pretty safe, since my Goretex were already dirty when I came to Japan, and didn’t want to change it yet until I was about to leave the farm. By 530pm, I was pretty tired already squatting most of the time, cutting vegetables, and wondering when we would call it a day. Before we were backed home, we feed the goat and the ducks again. After that, we started to pack those vegetables for sale. I did the egg plants and green capsicum. One of the egg plant looks like the head of a swan =] Finally at 7pm, Yuhei-san said “Let’s go for dinner”. It was like a father telling his kid that they will be going to the playground. Of course, I acted professional and did not show my excitement. Dinner was a fish, miso soup and some potato and vegetables for sharing. I did the washing and then quickly went to take my bath. Yuhei-san is a very hardworking man. Not long after meal, he went back to work and packed all the vegetables. Yuhei-san told me he works everyday. I’ve asked if he goes out on Sunday with his family. He said no. He works on Sunday too. He only rest, like half a day, when he is tired!!! I wanted to help him pack, but I was really exhausted. Quickly finished typing this and went to bed at 9:30pm.

1 comment:

  1. Koh, like damn san fu man... 9.30pm and you're tired means you were hontoni tired! I will pray for you. For strength. For better judgment of good and bad food. For better sense of direction. For better retention of fat (you seriously cannot lose anymore weight, koh) love, kuan.xx

    ReplyDelete