Sunday 1 June 2014

BWC2014 - 29th May (Day 15 - 2nd Working Day)


Streets performers doing
juggling at the traffic light!
Our Catering Room!
After slacking for a few days, I had to wake up at 6 plus again.  I was really glad to receive a message from Tony yesterday that my request to work more days had been approved! So, from today onwards, my shift would be something like 6 days of work followed by a day rest!

Had my breakfast and left the house around 7:20am.  It was a little disaster morning.  Firstly, the usual Rodoviaria bus didn't stopped right inside the terminal but turned to the direction away from the stadium.  I had to quickly alight and walked back to the bus station.  Then, the worse followed! I tried to look out for the bus to Buriti which I thought was easy, just like how I took one yesterday.  However, I waited for 5min or so but none of the buses go there.  A little worry about the timing, I asked around and went to a different bus stand as directed.  Got a staff there for help and was pointed to the bus just next to me.  I saw it said "Pier 21", which looked fishy, but I was stubborn to reconfirm with the bus conductor.  The punishment was catching the wrong bus all the way to the Three Power Circle and further!  I alighted and walked a long way back to where the Three Power Circle was and waited for a bus to Buriti.  I asked virtually all the buses which passed by but still no luck with the right bus after more than five minutes.  It was already close to 9:30am, I already dropped a message to Tony earlier that I would be late.  Eventually, I just took a bus back to the terminal, exactly where I was about an hour ago, and walked to the stadium after all!  Reached the Vounteer Centre at 10:10am.  But luckily, I didn't miss anything yet.

My work area,
the "fing tou" place!
Food.. food.. food!!!

After away for almost a week, a lot had changed indeed. The security screening gates were ready.  Laptops with internet access were available now for use!

Met Joao, another fellow volunteer from the Catering Team, who likes fighting as well.  He is a gym instructor.  While waiting I joined the Cloakroom Team and helped them separating the baggage tag for a short while.  When Bid arrived, I followed him back to our Catering Room.  He gave me an overview of the Brasilia city and then a five minutes Portugese crash course! Just realised that the "R" in front was actually pronounced as "H"!  No wonder some of the bus drivers looked at me in puzzle all these while!  And you thought Brazilian name are only Kaka and Ronaldo, in fact, their name usually include the mother's name as well, besides the father's!

Recently, Singapore talks
a lot about moth!
Fellow volunteers having their lunch.
Today, I also collected my volunteer guide book and a small notebook they called "Passport".  We were supposed to get a stamp on this passport for each day that we worked.  As before, we served the drinks during the lunch period until 2 or 2:30pm.  After that, Bid said we have a new task!  Packing up the food bag!!  We were supposed to prepare about six and half thousands of food bags which has nine different type of snacks like chips, biscuits and candies.  These were for the volunteers to be carried during their duty so that they could chew on something whenever they feel hungry.  There were five of us including Bid forming a production line to pack the snacks.  First of all, we have to carry over boxes of these from the dry container just outside the Volunteer Centre. Although not a very long distance, those lost days of running were all compensated today!  Nevertheless, it was the best working day so far!  We ended the day around 5:30pm but I waited to collect my transport card.  I was given 4 cards in total with different credit values in them!

I was also treated a nice and fun walk to the bus terminal when I met Rafael and his co-workers, Raul and Marcia.  Even his co-workers agreed Rafael is a crazy guy! We were laughing and dancing the way to the bus station!  I bid them good night at the shopping mall and went for my dinner at the....yes.. food court again!

Nothing fancy about the dinner.  Nothing fancy about the way home.  Let's read the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment