Wednesday 4 June 2014

BWC2014 - 2nd June (Day 19 - Happy Dragon Boat Festival!)

I perfected my half-boiled
eggs
I had only worked for 4 days in a row but I had already looking forward to today, the rest day!! Planned to wake up at 9am for my run but struggled till almost 10 on the bed!

Great simple lunch at home!
I was getting late because I’d arranged a Skype call with my girlfriend, who was in a time zone 11 hours ahead of mine!  Started my run around 10am and decided to go for a shorter one at 5km instead.  After a week without running, it was just as taxing!!

Had my shower and then breakfast.  I perfected my half boiled egg today!  Let "Cook with Yap" tell you the secret.  With fully boiled water, cook the eggs for exactly four minutes!  Any lesser would be too raw and leaving it longer will make the eggs over cooked.  After skyping, I managed to download the Bike Brasilia application on my phone and registered an account for renting the bicycle in the town!  I couldn't wait to try it out!
Finally, caught a picture of
the cleaner at the mall!

Today, Elaine and Thiago, both volunteers, and I had arranged a gathering at 4pm at Taguatinga Shopping.  After a great and simple lunch at home, I left around 3pm and reached there just on time!  Both Elaine and Thiago doesn't speak English.  I met up with Thiago first.  We had a long chat using the Google Translate!  After a period of time, we still had not seen Elaine yet.  In the end, we had some miscommunication and were waiting at the wrong place!
Dragon Boat festival
dumpling replacement,
Carne de Sol!

We had a little discussion on where to head next.  We walked out and came to a restaurant-cum-bar and decided to give it a try.  The place was empty at 6pm.  And we thought it was probably because of Monday.  But the later it got, the more people turned up!  Around 10pm when there was a band started to play and sing live music, the place was almost full with some already dancing through the night!

Thiago and Elaine were really patience with me.  I learned a lot more Portuguese words tonight than I had for the past two weeks, combined!  Thiago doesn't drink, so, Elaine and I had a few bottles of Skol beer.  We also shared a big platter of beef and mandioca.  The potato-like mandioca also goes very well with margerine.  When we asked for the billed, we were each given a card.  I thought it was a name card, but in fact, it was used for us to exit the restaurant.  Perhaps, I should have asked Thiago what if we didn't have the card!  We left the place around 11pm.  I was glad to catch a bus pretty soon as I was already thinking about my bed!

Actually, I had forgotten today was Dragon Boat Festival, where the Chinese traditionally eats rice dumplings.  I guessed my best consolation for missing the dumpling was that wonderful beef in cheese during dinner!

ps: I must apologise that I made a terrible mistake earlier mixing up Mid-Autumn Festival with Dragon Boat Festival!!  The former is some time in September.  Thanks a lot to Hiew for pointing that out and left me a comment! =]

2 comments:

  1. Friend, you mixed up 端午节 and 中秋节 la. :-D Dragon Boat Festival vs Mid Autumn Festival. Mid Autumn Festival will be around September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn.. you are so fast!!! I was just about to change it =] thanks anyway! =]

      Delete