Monday 2 June 2014

BWC2014 - 30th May (Day 16 - 3rd Working Day)

Coolest meal card ever!


There was something really courteous about Brazilian driver that deserved commendation.  The drivers here USE their turn signals!  From far, the cars would switch on their signal to indicate their intention to turn, so that pedestrians could cross the road.

I dared not try to look for buses to the stadium anymore. Besides, I don't have much spare time to play with. Reached the terminal at 8:30am and the walk was just enough to be at Volunteer Centre around 9am. The work was not really that strict on the timing yet until the games begin on the 12th of June, I guessed.

Today, I collected my free FIFA Visa card! No, I'm joking. It's a cool meal card used daily for us to claim our lunch and/or dinner!

I met Carol who was on her first day. She was alone and I thought of practicing some Portuguese while waiting. It turned out her English was better than mine! Unlikely most local who went to the States to study English, she learned it in Brazil for 5 years. She said she liked UK English more. Carol told me, her sister and mother were also volunteering!!


Our food bag production lineup, at forward
was not-so-camera-fancy Carolina!  In midfield,
we have the experienced Laura! And our full
back for the day was the promising
youngster, Yasmin!

Today was really quiet. There wasn't many volunteers working too. We basically slacked around till lunch time, feeding the mosquito again which could sting through my long pants!
At lunch, I met Gustova who shared with me that Brazilian has a nickname for the famous Copacabana beach at Rio.  It was called “CocĂ´cabana” where “cocĂ´” means “shit” in Portuguese, because the beach was so dirty.  He wouldn’t recommend the Ipanema beach too because it was equally filthy!

After the usual lunch time routine, we rested for a while and continued to do more food bag packing! Today, we had Carol, Yasmin, Laura, myself and Bid as always. We completed the first batch of yellow food bag today. There were yellow, green, pink, light blue and dark blue altogether to add up about 6400 plus food bags. I saw the list from Bid and it looked like Brasilia needed the most food bags!

We finished around 5:30pm and when I was leaving, Juliana, a fellow volunteer, was really kind to suggest not wearing the volunteer uniform outside the stadium.  Since it gets cooler in the evening, I always had my light jacket over.  I thanked her very much and walked to the bus terminal as usual.  Feeling pretty tired, I had my lunch and just couldn’t wait to get home as soon as possible to have a nice hot shower. 

After watching the Roland Garros for a while, I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment