Friday 13 June 2014

BWC2014 - 9th June (Day 26 - 11th Working Day)

My most luxurious
breakfast so far!
Surprisingly, people still ask for the time nowadays. Today was the third time I was asked! And I thought everyone would at least has a mobile phone!
My favourite corner, the
"Break Area"

I did not have breakfast at home this morning.  It was one of those days that you craved for something different.  And today was Mac Donald breakfast!  I reached the bus terminal and went to the McD at the food court, but it was not opened yet!  Didn't want to give up so soon, I walked further to the drive-through McD outlet, which I used to walk passed all the time on my way to the stadium. Glad there were breakfast served, and for $R10.50 it was my most luxurious one so far, but yet not the best!  There was no hash brown!!  And the tiny little Brazilian version of Egg McMuffin and a small glass of orange juice could hardly fill my stomach wall!  Hungrily, I cycled to the stadium looking forward to the biscuits and coffee in the Break Area!

We switched from blue to
yellow!
Another colour "light blue"
completed!
This morning was really quiet again. There were only me and Carol from the Catering team. We met Isabella who were only 18 years old! She told us about her role in the security, dealing with players, which really made me envy! 

At lunch time, I finally managed to put a name on some other Catering helpers whom I frequently met. Telma is the vibrant lady who always cracks a joke with me, asking for a coke, knowing they are not allowed one. Bianca is the younger lady who really looks like my ex colleague in Singapore! Natalia, the quiet one, who hardly speaks during our "conversation". And a colleague of Pedro, who speaks the most English, helping us with all the translations!  (Sadly, I forgotten her name while I was updating this!)


They told me about a famous card game played in Brazil called Truco. I thought to myself that I must learn how to play from someone when there is a chance! Telma said she loves this game!

Army ready to march into
the "Lunch Bag"
Moises from the Ticketing!
Then somehow our "conversation" brought us to a famous Brazilian dance fight, Capoeira! When I asked where could I catch the show, Telma replied that weekends at the TV tower would have. Bid also told me later that there were such performance at the City Park too in the weekend morning. 

Then, Bianca showed me how to dance samba! Didn't realise I have some hidden talent on this! There was even applause from the "audience" while enjoying their lunch! 

Finally there was another Asian volunteer besides myself. She is a Japanese girl. But, when I spoke Japanese to her, she looked at me like I was from Mars!!

Also met a lot more foreigners from Venezuela, Ivory Coast, Colombia, USA and Costa Rica!

Add caption
After lunch, Debora came. So, there were just the four of us to continue packing the food bags. Later, Tony brought a new Catering member, Leonardo, who just arrived from Mexico. He gave us each a very beautiful Mexican pin and every volunteer was dying to get a hand on it later! I felt bad for not bringing these pins from my country because many were asking for one from me!  There was a trend to collect these pins here.


Cathedral in green & yellow!
We finished packing the light blues and ended the day at 6:30pm. By far, the latest.  Tony invited us for dinner at the Centre. Only I stayed back for it. Met Leonardo again and some others from the Ticketing. 

After meal, Bid drove me to bus terminal. But before that, we took a short ride around the ministry district where every buildings were beautifully lit in green and yellow! We stopped at the road sides and took a few pictures!


I went home, showered and slept soundly!

No comments:

Post a Comment